PDA

View Full Version : Breeding of Emerald Crabs?

chicki
07/23/2002, 09:26 PM
I have 4 emerald crabs. Two are producing either babies or eggs (its a little dark to get a good look). They come out and dance around together and she releases a whole load of them.
Can I raise them somehow? Anyone know how to go about it? What all is involved?
Thanks so much

rshimek
07/24/2002, 08:24 AM
Hi Lynn,

I don't have any specific information about raising these crabs. Howsoever...

Generally, raising crab larvae is a long and daunting process. Crabs generally have a planktonic feeding larvae that is carnivorous. It will pass through several stages in the plankton, each stage marked by one or more molts. The larval food may change with each molt (change in size or in type). The larval period may be from several weeks to several months. Larval periods for crabs lasting more than a year are not uncommon.

During this period, the larvae are not adapted to contact "edges" or "walls" and such contact can kill them or deform them. Nor are they adapted for trips through filters and pumps. :D

If you are interested in pursuing this. I suggest you get a hold of the standard reference about invertebrate embryological techniques: Strathmann, M. 1987. Reproduction and development of Northeastern Pacific Invertebrates. U. Wash. Press, and read the chapters on techniques, and crab reproduction.

:D