PDA

View Full Version : HOw many Mangroves

asmodeus
01/10/2007, 09:48 PM
Just converted from a 170 to a 65 gal with my old 75 gal sump so a total of around 120 gal of water. Im running a RC 250 Euroreef with 4 mangroves and im going to start running my Red Sea Ozone.. Should I wait to add more man groves or will 4 be enough to take out the Nitrates or will the Ozone do the take n out of Nitrates. I know that Ozone will break down the water and remove Nitrites and Ammonia.

But is the mangroves really going to do anything.....

mike

and i have BB with lots of flow too

Mr James
01/10/2007, 10:14 PM
Mangroves are not a big or fast nitrate exporter. They seem to be more for show than a real workhorse like caulerpa.

steve the plumb
01/10/2007, 11:20 PM
from what I have read you need 1 per 10 gallons to remove a good amount of trates wich would mean you require a large sump.You can try sand in a bucket wich I know has worked for people.I don't know if that many mangrooves would be cost effective.I do think it would help but so would a large sump full of calerpa.

asmodeus
01/11/2007, 12:17 AM
I have tried the caulerpa and i still had 25PPm of nitrates...

pjf
01/11/2007, 12:55 AM
Here's a study comparing the nutrient uptake of mangroves with caulerpa and chaetomorpha:
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/3/lines

steve the plumb
01/11/2007, 06:56 PM
I had nitrate problems with my tank.I was dosing sugar but my tank had a kalk storm while on vacation so I shut it down.I lost most of my stock.I have given what was left to a friend.People have had nitrates reduced with sugar but I wasn't dosing long enough to see results.I will start up again(don't know when)People have had good results with the sulfer denitrate reactors but it takes some fiddling.I have read people having sulfer fumes return into tank.I also have read where somoen use a phosban reactor with carbon on the return of the reactor wich decreases any fumes entering the tank.I may go with this method in the future but it requires some testing.I was a little nervous about sulfer leaching into the tank.

Mr James
01/11/2007, 09:07 PM
High nitrates shouldn't be attacked with macro algae. I would search for the cause of your nitrate problem.

asmodeus
01/11/2007, 09:29 PM
Well i just tested and found out :D That I don't have Phosphates they were at 0 and my nitrates were at around 5-7 PPM if that so I'm happy once i get my Ozone that will take care of the Ammonia and the Nitrites.
I know sonce that i have scaled down from the 235 to a 65 all the rock that i have is filtering and the RC 250 is cleaning the water super clean.

So I think that I'm on the right track..\\\:D