PDA

View Full Version : ocean reef +1

cotter4601
01/10/2007, 09:47 PM
I just got the ocean reef +1 from thefilterguys and I'm pretty happy with it. It's well built.

I've made about 30 or so gallons and the DI cartridge is starting to change a little. Is this normal? Also, what is the normal TDS reading before it goes into the DI cartridge?

AZDesertRat
01/10/2007, 11:23 PM
First off, did you get a TDS meter with the RO/DI unit? Its impossible to know "normal" readings without it.
Color changing DI resin is a very poor indicator of resin condition, again you need a TDS meter, its the only reliable method of knowing. Colors may chage all at once, it streaks, fro the bottom up, top down, not at all or any number of ways and normally by the time it has changed its too late and you are passing nitrates, silicates and phosphates into your tank. Again get a meter and use it every time you make water.
As for normal before the DI, it is entirely dependent on the quality of your RO membrane. If you got the 75 GPD as you should have it should be 96 to 98% less than what is coming out of the tap at that point, but again without a TDS meter you will never know.
Test your tap water TDS, RO only TDS and finally RO/DI TDS to determine how ell it is all working and the condition of your RO membrane and your DI resin.
By the way you purchased a very good RO/DI system!

cotter4601
01/11/2007, 08:05 AM
I got the TDS meter and after the DI it reads 0. Right before the number is 5 - 10. I'm happy with it, but I have low water pressure so I'm not getting the 75 gpd, more like 30. I'm hoping when the weather gets about 30 degress I'll be able to get a better output. So as long as the meter reads 0 after the DI unit i'm ok, right?

Another question, the 3 canisters that are on the main unit, when does that stuff need replaced? Are they just carbon filters? I know the membrane is about 3 years.

AZDesertRat
01/11/2007, 03:53 PM
The first three filters are a prefilter and carbon blocks. Those should be replaced every 6 months.
I assume you have an inline dual TDS meter, with that you can only measure two points and you are measuring post RO and post DI which is good. I prefer a handheld meter myself although I own two dual inline meters, with the handheld I can easily test tap water TDS and RO only TDS to determine RO efficiency as well as post DI TDS and even what it is in my storage containers, much more flexibility.

cotter4601
01/11/2007, 06:03 PM
Well since I need to get new lights for my tank yet, i'm not going to get one of those. I'll deal with the inline model I have. Thanks for the help though, you have been most informative.

carlos_fb
01/11/2007, 11:14 PM
I suggest you contact Jim directly and ask him. They have their own forum, check it out...

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=439