PDA

View Full Version : Algae on Live Rock

Fermat
01/09/2007, 03:53 PM
My live rock as been in the display tank for 7 weeks now (after 3 weeks curing). A large percentage of rock (60%?) is now covered with a deep green moss-like algae. Is this normal?

I had heard there was an algae "stage", but is it normal for this to last this long? I'm thinking now I need to change some parameters. Are my lights on too long? I have my actinic on for 11 hours, and white for 9. LFS suggested I cut back at least 3 hours. I do not yet have any coral, plants, or light requiring inverts, though I hope to have some softies and a plant or two further down the road.

tank specs in sig
amm/ite/ate 0/0/7.5
alk/calc 9.3/350 (trying to add 2-part buffer to up calcium)
phos 0.1
temp 77-78

Or... Is all ok and I just need to wait the months for the coralline algae to move in and take over the greenies.

Thanks!

BurntOutReefer
01/09/2007, 03:58 PM
Yes normal.....if there is no life in your tank, you should cut back on your photoperiod...or if your tank is safe, add some cleaning crew...

sharky_steve
01/09/2007, 05:08 PM
what kind of clean-up crew do you ave?

mildew
01/09/2007, 05:16 PM
Check further down in this forum for the thread, "65 gallon progress" with author "mildew" and you'll see that green algae is normal and lots of it is even more normal. It can be eliminated with time and work. You'll probably have to help by physically harvesting algae. Yeah, that means hand pulling, kind of like weeding the garden. Hang in there.

Fermat
01/09/2007, 08:15 PM
Cleanup: 8 various dwarf crabs, 1 mystery crab (ordered as a dwarf but can't tell what kind it is now), 3 nasarius snails, and about 100 small to medium margarita snails (they spawned).

Yeah, I heard it was pretty normal, but the guy at LFS said it wasn't... But, I know how wrong they've been to me in the past so I always take their word with a grain of sea salt. Besides, nearly every one of their tanks is infested with aiptasia.