PDA

View Full Version : looking for an I.D.

naterd1976
01/05/2007, 10:11 PM
Here is the thread on the big board. Any input would be appreciated.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1010918

sarai826
01/05/2007, 10:51 PM
Nate,
I have several of those in my tank, and have since August. They're a type of anemone, my best guess is something in the tulip neighborhood. I have about 5-- so far, they're sticking to their own rock. They don't seem to move much, and don't seem to sting anyone. Enjoy!

naterd1976
01/05/2007, 11:35 PM
Excellent,

That is some good news. Do they get much bigger than my little guy? Do yours like light? I think I will keep him in the frag tank for awhile so I can keep an eye on him.

Is your name Sara, I didn't want to be rude and get your name wrong.

Travis L. Stevens
01/08/2007, 09:59 AM
Definitely not Majanos or Aiptasia. I believe it's a Rock Flower Anemone, and a tiny one :D They can get fairly large and reproduce at a moderately fast rate. You can find these guys for sale on places like Ebay and less than reputable fish stores attempting to sell them to people thinking that clownfish will host in them. To tell the truth, they could eat the clownfish. Basically, if you could cross a Condylactis' beauty, unnatural clownfish hosting, and the ability to eat any hosts with an Aiptasia's growth and reproduction rate, then you would pretty much have a Rock Flower Anemone. FWIW, I'm not a huge fan of them, but they can come in a variety of different colors and patterns. They are an interesting Anemone to say the least.

naterd1976
01/08/2007, 11:24 AM
I will keep him isolated in the frag tank for now. If the spreading starts, I will use some kung-fu on him.

Travis L. Stevens
01/08/2007, 11:32 AM
You might need to. Like most anemones, the stings pack a whollup. Of course, I didn't think you would let it grow next to an Acro colony anyways :D

blackhemi35003
01/08/2007, 11:44 AM
I actually saw one at a LFS here in OKC and I had never seen one before looked exactly like yours. It was on the glass in a invert tank near the top of the water. It was about the size of a dime. About the same color also. Don't know how much they wanted for it never had a tag for it.

This was just this last Sat.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/anempt2.htm

Try the second one down I believe thats what you have?

Kind of the same characters to it.

The tentacles and color I don't reconize to be a flower. Flowers tend to be green white brown and maybe some yellow but not redish color(don't if this is due to ur lighting).

n8duncan
01/08/2007, 07:56 PM
I have one in my tank about the size of a half dollar. It stays put and has never bothered anything. Its a cool looking little anemone in my opinion. I was also told rock flower as far as the name goes.

Nathan

zoomfish1
01/08/2007, 08:28 PM
That's def a flower (rock) anemone. I've got three in my tank, White, Orange & Green. They haven't multiplied in two years, have never moved. Pretty colors and have not stung anything.

They really don't do much, come to think about it. Just pretty to look at. I feed mine raw shrimp when I feed the others, usually once or twice a week.

edit: Also they are cheap. I don't think I paid more than $7 each for mine. Scott @ Oddballs ordered mine and some to sell out of the store.

jjmcat
01/08/2007, 09:25 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/jjmcat/orangeanemone.jpg

blackhemi35003
01/08/2007, 10:23 PM
I just don't see the beads on his. His are smooth. Rock or flowers have atleast a few white single tentacles with in the bunch of the others again I don't see it. Also his tentacles are two toned a whiteish going to purple or red. Most if not all rock or flowers I have seen are single toned tentacles (besides the all white single few tentacles). Also in the middle its not bumpy but smooth.

naterd1976
01/09/2007, 12:05 AM
I'm not exactly sure what it is either. Rock anemone sounds good for now. Maybe he will grow into something more identifiable. I appreciate everyone's effort, I may bring thread thread back up in a few months if he grows or changes.

zoomfish1
01/09/2007, 03:01 PM
Nate, if you want I'll look at it when I came to pick up the leather coral. May not know what it is, but if it's a flower nem, I'll know that for sure.