PDA

View Full Version : Spawning ???

Alarmguy66
01/05/2007, 12:07 PM
I have a plate mushroom that did what I could only call spawning last weekend...see what you think. I look over at the tank and my 14" plate mushroom is smoking out the mouth. It continued to do this over the next 5-10 minutes, at the end of which it was only 4" or so across.

All the other corals that have extendable polyps slowly started closing them up (either they were feeding or trying to get away from the smoke).

The next day everything looked like nothing ever happened. I havent ran anything extra like carbon, but my skimmer seemed to be a bit more produstive for the next couple of days.

What do you think?

kiknchikn
01/06/2007, 10:37 PM
It could have been releasing sperm. I've seen several pictures of shrooms spitting out a ball of eggs from their mouth. I've never heard of anyone successfully having mushrooms spawn in their tank that way though.

cowbell
01/08/2007, 04:48 PM
Let us know what happens!

cowbell
01/08/2007, 04:48 PM
Let us know what happens!

Alarmguy66
01/09/2007, 06:15 AM
Well it just looks normal now, although it might be getting ready to split.

the other tang
01/09/2007, 11:57 AM
I have a hairly mushroom that does something similar to that. The dif being it is stringy not smoke like. It has done that since I got it years ago but no new shrooms. It does it on it's own or when it gets allot of sudden flow from either low water and the current picking up, or at times from a water change. FWIW