PDA

View Full Version : suggestion for test kit

turbo2oh
01/05/2007, 10:54 AM
I know everyone has their own preference but I'm looking for suggestions on the best general saltwater test kit (nitrogen cycle mostly). I currently have the seachem one but I'm out of the nitrite test. Also, the discs used for ammonia testing seemed to discolor even when dry and left me with a rather vague reading IMO due to inconsistent color across the whole disc.

I seem to have an especially hard time getting a definitive reading with test kits so any help is appreciated!

Craig Lambert
01/05/2007, 11:07 AM
I suggest you try Salifert kits. They are used by many on the forum (including myself), and I think the vast majority of users are very happy with them.

swjim
01/05/2007, 12:03 PM
I agree with Craig, Salifert kits are great.

AVALover5498
01/05/2007, 12:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8903545#post8903545 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by swjim
Salifert kits are great.

Ditto!:)

-Chris-

kfowler
01/05/2007, 12:07 PM
I have Saliferts for everything except Ammonia and Nitrites. For those I use Aquarium Pharmaceuticals liquid kits. The reason being I'm not looking for exact numbers on the Amm and Nitrite. If I see anything at all, I know it's bad. The Salifert kits seem to be easier to read. Except their Phos kit anyway.

six.line
01/05/2007, 12:38 PM
I don't think Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate test kits are so incredibly vital that you must have the absolute best kits because most tanks can take care of that cycle on their own. Plus, like kfowler said, any amount of ammonia is bad-- regardless of level.

However, when you want to test the things that matter on a day-to-day basis, such as Alk, CA, pH, etc... Then yes, Salifert's the way to go.

reeformadness
01/05/2007, 01:02 PM
Salifert

drummereef
01/05/2007, 01:10 PM
I use Salifert. Honestly during the cycle any testkit will work. You probably aren't going to use it after that unless something goes wrong. I would however invest in Salifert Alkalinity, Calcium, Nitrate, Phosphate, and pH (or better yet get a pH monitor). Get a refractometer now while you are starting out too. A must for salinity, imo.

jbittner
01/05/2007, 01:17 PM
I use a few Salifert Test kits (they are nothing spectacular). For everything but Ca or mag I use Instant Ocean Ocean master and Reef master Test Kits. They are extremely easy to read (transparent color chips) and are easy to use. I know everyone on this board praises Salifert, but they are not as easy to use (or read) as some other test kits I have used. Once you use the Salifert kits a few times it is easier to tell the color changes, and they do give accurate results.

edmund36
01/05/2007, 02:42 PM
I have an Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Saltwater Liquid Master Test Kit. I seem to always have a low reading in ammonia. Is this possibly a very sensitive ammonia test as I always have a small amount .25 when I do my testing?

Ed

amike5
01/05/2007, 02:49 PM
Salifert for KH/ALK, Calcium, Magnesium; Aquarium Pharmaceuticals for most everything else.