PDA

View Full Version : feeding tangs without the mess?

miatawnt2b
01/05/2007, 08:32 AM
I have used a nori clip for my yellow tang, and it's really messy. The nori pulls away from the clip after a little while and gets lost to rot in the tank. There has to be a better way. Can you folks show me some of your ideas for feeding tangs without the mess?

Thanks
-J

stewie24
01/05/2007, 09:32 AM
I fold the nori/seaweed over a few times. It helps strengthen it so it doesn't all rip out at once. Other than that, go to lowes/hd and get some gutter guard. Cut a piece out to fit the size of the clip (assuming its a wide one)and create a loop so the clip holds both cut ends of the guard. place the nori in the gutter guard, and the tangs can pick apart the nori that way. (not 100% fool proof method, but it helps cut down the chances of the whole mess of nori floating away).

Stewie

rreddick
01/05/2007, 09:33 AM
Fold the nori several times before you place in the clip. That way they have more leaves to grab but not a long thin strip which they will shred and it will break free from the clip. I also found that my tangs will scavange all of the nori that breaks free as it tend to be small chuncks versus a long strip.

Ron

somethingphishy
01/05/2007, 09:39 AM
ditto on the folding and only expose a small amout of nori...place the clip in an area of low flow...
-or-
not sure if they work any better but i've seen clips that have a grid attached to them i assume to keep the nori together better

volunteerguy
01/05/2007, 09:41 AM
I place the nori behind a small piece of eggcrate and hold it in place with a mag holding it onto the glass. Great for the yellow tang!

rustybucket145
01/05/2007, 10:10 AM
I made a recent discovery at a local Asian Food Market a few weeks back. Don't know how healthy it is for my tang (yellow) but he seems to like it. Instead of the nori, which is shredded seaweed re-pressed into the sheets they had actual dried seaweed. It's almost solid black and looks kinda like black noodles. However; when you put it in the water within a few minutes it rehydrates and becomes bright green.

The tang loves it and it's much 'tougher' than normal nori so the tang can rip and tear and go to town on it but it never disentigrates. I personally think it presents a little more 'natural' feeding environment (other than being clipped to the side of a tank) for the fish.

Make sure you get the kind that is not flavored, salted or oiled. I ended up getting 3 or 4 different types (all very cheap $3-$4/pack) and there is only one that he won't seem to eat, not sure why, but the one type that he won't eat is much thicker and tougher than the other types so maybe a larger tang would take to it.

Also they had 'bricks' of the nori that I pay big bucks for at the fish store for extremely cheap!! I mean like $3 for 100 sheets of the stuff. The Asian market was even cheaper than Walmart for it.

mels95yj
01/05/2007, 11:33 AM
What I do is roll the nori up as tight as I can get it. Kinda reminds me of high school days, but I digress! :D It's easier to roll up if you dampen it with a little tank water. I then dampen it more and place it in the freezer. After a few hours, I place it in the clip and it holds together better. Give it a try!

Mel

somethingphishy
01/05/2007, 01:50 PM
good info rustybusket145 i'll have to look into finding a local asian market

yiliyang
01/05/2007, 02:17 PM
Hi:

The Asian food store sea weed is 99% time ROASTED sea weed. I eat that stuff a lot and my fish would also eat it, but I have read from forums that the majority of the vitamins are destroyed in the roasting process. I have since stopped feeding my tangs that and been eating the leftover myself.

Yili

Mr Bojangles
01/05/2007, 03:25 PM
This is my lil DIY way of feeding my tangs (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1010588)

drummereef
01/05/2007, 03:41 PM
Nice idea Mr Bojangles. You can also try rolling the nori up tightly like a cigarette before placing in the clip.

yoboyjdizz
01/05/2007, 04:16 PM
I rolled mine up twice then rubberband it to a small base rock and place it in the tank and then remove when done feeding.. Someitmes a few pieces break lose but nothing to bad.

nyvp
01/05/2007, 04:29 PM
I have the answer to your questions thanks to Rogger C

Go to the paint dept of home dept. In the tarp section is a black clip to hold the tarps down. This will change your lives. I use fish line and suction cup to hold it on. I never get my hands wet and I can place the clip lower in the water......Enjoy

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h310/nyvp/CIMG0967_edited.jpg

roons
01/05/2007, 07:04 PM
i use a magnetic clip, and i roll the nori up like a cigar so all they can pull off is little pieces, i hold feeder in place with mag float magnet

dippin61
01/05/2007, 08:47 PM
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4441&Ntt=clip%20on&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&pc=1&N=2004&Nty=1