PDA

View Full Version : Which additive causes Calcium maintenance, which causes a calcium increase?

headtreads
01/05/2007, 12:16 AM
I have tried using so many different types of calcium additives. Even Korallin reactors, Know reactors Coralife and Kalkreactors. My question is what additives has anyone used that made your calcium dramatically increase, what mage it stabilize and maintain? What all in one works with you guys? what doesn't? Which Magnesium, strontium and iodine works? Here are just some that I have tried. <b>Please rate from 1-10. The higher number the better</b>

SeaChem Calcium Powder - Increase -6 maintenance 2
Salifert Calcium - Increase - 5 maintenance 7
Salifert All in one - Increase 2 Maintenance 2
C Balance 2 part - increase 2 maintenance 5
Kent Liquid Reactor - Increase 5 Maintenance 5
Kent Calcium - Increase 5 Maintenance 4
CaribSea Purple Up - Increase 7 Maintenance 8
CaribSea Aragamilk - increase 4 Maintenance 8 for Alkalinity 10!!
ESV 2 Part - Increase 2 Maintenance 8
Kent Marine Lugols Solution(iodine) Increase 9 Maintenance 6
Salifert Iodine - Increase 5 Maintenance 8
Blue Life Lugols - Increase 7 Maintence 6

Im tired sorry guys ill continue tomorrow. keep going though this would really help people get a better review of all the good and bad additives out there.

reefshadow
01/05/2007, 12:33 AM
I always use calcium chloride to increase calcium, Kents is a good brand, or you can make your own using Randy's two part. I don't like the liquid supplements because they aren't nearly concentrated enough for me.

Kalkwasser or pickling lime is good for maintainence, as are the two part supplements. Kalk will not increase ca or alk, rather maintain or help maintain them.

Calcium reactor is the best choice for maintaining calcium and alk IMO.

I use epsom salts to increase magnesium.

I don't add strontium or iodine at all, and feel that they are unnecessary with feeding and regular water changes.

Sorry I can't comment on your products, I don't use any of them...

Wow, looking at your list, you could really save alot of bucks making your own stuff