PDA

View Full Version : Help Apstasia and Search button not working for me..!

perculaclownguy
01/04/2007, 11:38 PM
I tried searching but the search page has not worked for me for a while now.
I have a huge Apstasia outbreak that I am unable to contain. I have tried injecting lime water and manually cleaning the rock and my pepermint shrimp are not able to keep up.
I have heard of a nudibrach that will eat them but I was hopeing to get some advice on what I can do.
any help would be great.
I am losing my corals slowly one by one. the apstaia are everywhere in my system, sump tank overflow... everywhere.

help

Ebmorri
01/04/2007, 11:40 PM
Bergia Nudibranch is one option, Copperband Butterfly or Peppermint shrimps also eat them.

drummereef
01/04/2007, 11:45 PM
Can you post a pic? Would love to see how bad it is.

AndyB4784
01/05/2007, 12:14 AM
bergia nudi's will starve without aptasia so if you do get one be sure to fish it out after all your aptasia is gone and either return it to the store that you got it from for some credit or pass it on to another reefer. I got rid of mine by adding a few pepermint shrimp to the tank.

fishes2889
01/05/2007, 12:17 AM
pepp shrimps all the way.....

Steve

reefshadow
01/05/2007, 12:26 AM
Good suggestions...

You can do a google search on RC with the search function on the left column of the home page.

Im14abeer
01/05/2007, 12:47 AM
Reef central alternate search:

http://reefcentral.com/search.php?s=&menu=11

Good luck with the aiptasia.

saltman123
01/05/2007, 02:17 AM
Joe's Juice works wonders too.

Tim the Stick
01/05/2007, 02:36 AM
It's my Queen angels favorite food. Even prefers them over my corals, which also get eaten at randon, but hey, no apastias anymore!

Also, my emperor eats them as well, but he's spoiled rotten now and waits untill feeding time swimming about all morning wondering when the fridge is going to open.

If you love your corals, angels a no-no. If you could care less and want nice fish. Definately. They won't last a week. Mine (I had about 300-400 apastias when I put her in) didn't last 4 days. And my welsophelia lasted 5. In my opinion, small price to pay.

Stick

perculaclownguy
01/05/2007, 08:48 AM
Well I am gonna try the peppermint shrimp again since it has been some time.
the apstasia are growing on my leather coral and it looks really mad and shriveled up. I cant deal with losing another sps or otherwise they already killed my montipora the size of a dinner plate.

sigh

I dont hate alot of things but these are moving to the #1 spot very quickly.

I have a 90 gallon tank with a 75 gallon sump

what do you think? 5 shrimp in each should do the trick eh?

if this doesnt work I will have to try a chemical method but I really dont want to..
I even tried a green bird wrasse thinking it would help ( I heard rumors) it just attacked my powder blue tang (had for 7 years )
so he got returned.

lemme know what you think on quantity of pep shrimp. maybe I got a bad batch last time, or they were finiky eaters....:rolleyes:

saltman123
01/05/2007, 11:31 AM
I've heard that peppermint shrimp usually eat it, but some have reported that a few random ones have not.

Joe's Juice literally kills it instantly. Check out this old random thread I found that discusses a few methods:
http://www.aquariumpros.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=7317