PDA

View Full Version : Frog Spawn ?

Lpabsolute
01/04/2007, 11:06 PM
Just purchased a small Frog Spawn frag on Tuesday. The coral looked healthy when i purchased it. It has two heads on it about the size of a quarter. I followed the same procedure with this coral as i've done with everything else going in my tank. Let it float for 15 mins., then add a small amount of tank water to the bag every 15 minutes until i reach the one hour mark. The FS came out of a tank with VHO lighting and it was close to the top of the tank. My tank, the tank the coral went it, is a 54g corner with a 250 MHL 20K bulb. I started the FS off at the bottom of the tank directly under the light sitting it on the sand. The coral opened up a little bit and looked ok. Then next day, Wednesday, when the lights came on it didn't open up at all and hasn't since. All other corals in the tank are ok and look healthy. I'm wondering if it's just adjusting to the light. I've asked some friends at the LFS and they said that the FS should be at least Half way up the tank and should do fine. I just dont' want the FS to get to much light and bleach out. I lost a similar FS this way about a month ago. I placed it half way up the tank and it bleached out completely within 2 weeks. Not sure what to do. Should i leave it on the sand bed near the bottom of the tank? I just want to coral to look healthy and not get bleached out by my MHL. Anything i can do to to make the coral happy and come out fully? Thanks....

SuperNerd
01/04/2007, 11:09 PM
Do you have a lot of flow?
Exactly what are your parameters (the animals already living in your tank could be used to something the FS is not used to yet)?

Lpabsolute
01/04/2007, 11:16 PM
The tank is a 54g corner with a over flow. The pump on the return is a Mag 7, also have two MaxJet 1200's one on each wall. The flow is not crazy but it's there. As far as the parameters everything stays constant and is in the norm, temp stays at 78. Would there be a reason the coral would be fine for an entire day but after that not open up?

armagedon48
01/04/2007, 11:18 PM
frogspawn and other euphillia corals close up at night. if you look at it an hour after lights out, you will see what im talking about.

they will like a random gentle flow, though i have seen torch corals getting blasted by a powerhead and seem happy. i think you should keep it on the sand, and if you can, move it out from directly under the light. slowly you can move it closer to where you want it to be as you already know.

wrott
01/04/2007, 11:20 PM
I would keep it on the bottom in low flow until it fully acclimates to your aquarium--about 10 days or so and it should open fully.

SuperNerd
01/04/2007, 11:20 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8900292#post8900292 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lpabsolute
The tank is a 54g corner with a over flow. The pump on the return is a Mag 7, also have two MaxJet 1200's one on each wall. The flow is not crazy but it's there. As far as the parameters everything stays constant and is in the norm, temp stays at 78. Would there be a reason the coral would be fine for an entire day but after that not open up?

I thought you said they opened up "a little bit" at first but have yet to open up again. :confused:I honestly do not think it's really the lights, because of their high kelvin rating.

I think it has something to do with what's in the water.

The only times my corals didn't fully open up was when either the lighting was too bright for them or my parameters were off.

Lpabsolute
01/04/2007, 11:30 PM
SuperNerd- When i first put the coral in my tank it didn't open up fully but it did look healthy and ok, it was open some what. the next day on it's completely closed up...shrunk in almost to it's skeleton. I saw the coral a week before i purchased it and it was open fully and looked healthy.

Lpabsolute
01/04/2007, 11:37 PM
Right now the coral sits directly underneath the light and gets a small amount of flow. I always could move it from the center of the tank to one side of the tank to get it from under the light and into a spot with no flow. I just hate moving it around, touching it and causing it more stress.

saltman123
01/05/2007, 02:19 AM
I added FrogSpawn to my tank a week ago and it was open in a few hours. It shrinks up to 1/4 of its size at night, and opens every day with the lights.

I have PC lighting and keep it really high up.

TitanVA
01/05/2007, 10:50 AM
You may need more flow? I have a 54 corner and I am running 2 tunze 6025's in the back corner facing opposite and angled slightly up and a MJ1200 pointed tointed the middle of the curve. My FS seems to like it and he was just added a week ago. It took him several hours to open up but he is now fully open. I also have it under a 250 MH as well. Here is a pic. Sorry for the lousy image. I am still learning to take pics with the curved front.http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/xxpalmer/fishtankpics1_2007028.jpg

benray4fun
01/05/2007, 11:36 AM
Lp, I recently had the same issue and the root cause was the fact that the froggy was under flourescent lighting and I have metal halide, it burned under the lights and retracted to its skeleton, never to be seen again. The nextime I bought one i made sure it was healthy and under metal halide at the store, that one needed no adjustment time, it opened up like a flower.
Bying corals isn't like fish, you have to watch what it's under before picking'm out..."I also learned that the hard way." Hope this educates you and sorry for your loss...:(

InvaderJim
01/05/2007, 12:11 PM
Try to get it out of the direct light. Your probably burning it. Put it in a shadier spot of the tank and see how it does. It just needs to adjust to the lights.

Racing1
01/05/2007, 12:39 PM
I agree with the lighting. If it was under VHO and now MH it is probably being burned. I have mine under VHO at the bottom of my 75G tank and if I move it up towards the light it will close up. It also likes medium random flow.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l111/prbhasson/PANA0017.jpg

benray4fun
01/05/2007, 02:35 PM
Racing, that's gotta be the biggest smile on a smily i've ever seen...lol
also, nice froggy and even better live rocks!...