PDA

View Full Version : Longest without water change?

reeformadness
01/04/2007, 07:53 PM
I want to know who out there makes very few water changes. How long between water changes do you go? How do you accomplish this?

Gary Majchrzak
01/04/2007, 07:55 PM
aren't you going to ask what their aquarium looks like?
I mean- I know people that never change their aquarium water through sheer laziness and their tank looks like crap!

reeformadness
01/04/2007, 07:57 PM
Well yes...I should include that...who out there gets by with very few water changes that has a good looking tank...pics would be nice

saltwater4life1
01/04/2007, 08:04 PM
I do one each week and my tank looks ok (if i got rid of my algae prob then it'd be good :D )
My friend doesn't do water changes but once a year and his tank won number one tank of the month by our local fish club

DrBDC
01/04/2007, 08:26 PM
That's a question that most won't want to admit to. It's kind of like "How long has it been since you last beat your wife?" :lol:

reeformadness
01/04/2007, 08:27 PM
So how does your friend export nutrients without water changes? What type of filtration? I have heard of people doing this but what is the key? Many say frequent water changes are the key! But your friend must be doing something right.

reeformadness
01/04/2007, 08:28 PM
I'll admit that I've gone 11 months.

Lordhelmet
01/04/2007, 08:39 PM
6 months with great growth.

Tu Ku
01/04/2007, 08:49 PM
I only ever replace evaporation. No weekly water replacements. Check out my gallery. My corals grow, my clams grow. Life is good.

reeformadness
01/04/2007, 08:56 PM
Wow Tu Ku. How do you do this?

benray4fun
01/04/2007, 09:13 PM
I do the same as Tu Ku...

1- get a cleaning crew to match your tank size
2- feed every two or three days at most
3- have a sump and/or refugium
4- must have an ro/di unit
5- live sand and live rock
6- filtration must be good and cleaned on a regular basis
7- plenty of water movement around 15 to 20x an hour
8- Must have proper gas exchange (partial open top minimum)

However, water changes are a must when first establishing the system. At least the first 6mo to a year to be safe.
Though I do it, I do not preech it and neither should you...

DrBDC
01/04/2007, 09:19 PM
You would need to replace trace elements with supplements instead of water changes. Which is actually more expensive than salts and it doesn't take out nitrates or other pollutants.

ChickenCannoneer
01/04/2007, 09:21 PM
I have not changed any water in about a year. I have crazy growth and everything looks great. Many people that have come are always saying how good it looks. This is possible from the reasons listed above. HTH, Tim

jmack
01/04/2007, 10:07 PM
I hadn't done a waterchange for a few months; when I finally got around to it although my tank looked fine the corals really took off; it definitely makes a difference.

blureef1
01/04/2007, 10:09 PM
I am over a year on a 110g. Its my Dads tank at his house, but I maintain it to some extent ( or not in this case).

JeffandMindy
01/04/2007, 10:49 PM
I haven't done one in over a year. My water looks pristine and no smell to it. Fish are all healthy and thriving.
But then again..I am doing an ecosystem and that is a little bit different setup.
I have a 220G tank and a 50G sump.

HBtank
01/04/2007, 10:53 PM
That all depends on your parameters.

You do not need waterchanges if your parameters are stable.

If all the trace is there and you have no need for export, top off is all that is 'technically" needed.

For me, I just enjoy changing the water regularly in small amounts so I never have to worry. I would rather be ahead of any problem, rather than chasing it once something goes out of whack.. Not very expensive or any hassel if your spend a few bucks and time setting up a good system to change water.. and it is one way to add trace and peace of mind, I personally have no real need for export of the major parameters tested for.

I think many of the above posters are probably the same and don't really need to export nitrates/phosphates, but I wonder about everything they cant test for etc. being low/high...?

I just think of how many untested things that could be found in our food/additives etc. that could build up over time to dangerous levels that have no way of being exported biologically/mechanically/chemically from the aquarium..... You have to manually remove it with water changes. At least I think you do..

vanmo92
01/04/2007, 11:43 PM
I dont do to many waterchanges. Like every two weeks. But when I do Its only 1 or 2 gallons. Its a 72 gallon tank with 15 gallon sump.

O'Man
01/05/2007, 12:29 AM
My 38 gallon was a tank of few water changes. I had a phase where I changed water once every 12 to 14 months for a few years. When I did change it I would do about 8 gallons, and it was more to add trace elements than to reduce anything. That tank had a plenum.

My 90 went for 3 years without a change, but I will admit a certain level of neglect, and being horribly busy with my life. I recently changed about a third because I cannot keep up with calcium & alk any more. I have this branching coralline that seems to eat up calcium faster than I can add it and I think it out- competes come corals, though I did have a pink monti frag grow into a nice coral during all of that. I plan to do 15-25 gallons every 4 to 6 weeks for the time being while I get it back on track. I want to get it looking the way I want and then to get a schedule figured out to keep it that way.

Photo in my gallery of my 38 gallon called "My old tank"

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=91281&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500

Amphiprion
01/05/2007, 12:35 AM
I am lax about frequency. I usually try to get in a 30-40% in every two months or so. A fellow employee went for over 6 years without a water change before thing went awry. Nothing was wrong with it from a testing perspective (i.e. nitrogenous wastes undetectable, 1.026 sg, phosphate undetectable, pH, calcium, etc measured well within ranges), yet a large water change mysteriously remedied the problem.

es_surf
01/05/2007, 01:55 AM
3yr old talk
did regular changes in year 1
did 8 or so changes in year 2
havent done a chnage since

all corals sps/lps and clams etc are growing like weeds

my tank story and pics are here:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=965155

best of luck

reeformadness
01/05/2007, 12:14 PM
nice tank es_surf and O'man...good to see some people having success at this...bringing closed systems to a whole new level...I would like to know more about jeffandmindy's "ecosystem" setup....this sounds alot like what I am trying to accomplish

DrBDC
01/05/2007, 12:33 PM
I don't understand why you wouldn't want to do water changes when it's a known fact that there are certain compounds that cannot be exported and build up in the system. Between that and the cost of trace elements.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8902402#post8902402 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Randy Holmes-Farley
Harmful solids of what? I'm anxious to understand why.

There are many things that are removed or added in water changes (and not by replacing evaporated water) that most aquarists would agree is a useful thing. I discuss many of them in the article linked below. One big reason for doing them is to remove potentially toxic organics and certain other ions that cannot otherwise be removed.

Water Changes in Reef Aquaria
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-10/rhf/index.php

reeformadness
01/05/2007, 01:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8903797#post8903797 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DrBDC
I don't understand why you wouldn't want to do water changes when it's a known fact that there are certain compounds that cannot be exported and build up in the system. Between that and the cost of trace elements.

Its just my thing. Is that in reference to what it says about chloride and sulfate? What else is there that protein skimming and AC may not take care of. I might have to learn a little more about that. As for trace elements, why wouldn't top off water be adequate (although I have trace elements that aren't too expensive). I was under the impression I should use trace elements sparingly because I don't change my water.

Amphiprion
01/05/2007, 01:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8904055#post8904055 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reeformadness
Its just my thing. Is that in reference to what it says about chloride and sulfate? What else is there that protein skimming and AC may not take care of. I might have to learn a little more about that. As for trace elements, why wouldn't top off water be adequate (although I have trace elements that aren't too expensive). I was under the impression I should use trace elements sparingly because I don't change my water.

NOt only is it in reference to ionic imbalances as you say, but in refractory organic compounds that accumulate to potentially toxic levels. This is what I believe killed off much of my coworker's tank.
Doing waterchanges on an infrequent basis is one thing--not doing them at all is another entirely.

jacmyoung
01/06/2007, 09:43 PM
My tank is RR ready but is FO at this moment. I have not changed water in one year, in part because my tank has no easy access to a water source and also I want to see if a more self-sustained system is even possible.

My tank is 120g with a 20g sump, lighted by one 175w 10,000k MH, one 65w actinic PC, two small DBS sandbeds in the sump and one lowly Coralife Super Skimmer rated 65g, all because I don't have room in my sump.

Both my display and sump are covered by glass tops, evaporation is minimal, I only lose a half gallon each week which I top off with tap water.

I have three 4" fish, three 2" and two 1". I feed them every day, one cube of frozen Formula II or I in the morning, one cube of frozen mysis or brime in the evening.

I used to grow chaeto in my sump but about two months ago the chaeto stopped growing, at the same time I learned sugar addtion technique so switched to that and since had removed the chaeto and sump light. I add one tsp of sugar everyday, once in a while add pH-buffer if needed but rarely. My nitrate reads 5 to 10ppm consistently.

Now drum roll please:

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/1/16865Tank_02_07_2.jpg

benray4fun
01/06/2007, 10:01 PM
jacm, if that's all real stuff in that tank you are a superb reefer, that's absolutely beautiful aquascaping!:thumbsup:

jacmyoung
01/06/2007, 11:20 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8914999#post8914999 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by benray4fun
jacm, if that's all real stuff in that tank you are a superb reefer, that's absolutely beautiful aquascaping!:thumbsup:

No I did mention my tank is currently FO, all coral are artificial. I do plan to start add mushrooms when I get around with more free time.

But thanks anyway:) I am glad my stuff at least looked somewhat real.

huskerreef
01/06/2007, 11:59 PM
I think that water changes are great for beginners and smaller systems. In the begining your tank has not truly settled in and there a lot of things going on that can lead to poor water quality. I think that most people spend to much time with their hands in the tank and weekly water changes promotes more messing with your system. I noticed that my corals started to look fuller and grow better once I got into the routine of water testing vs. water changing. If all you levels are good then why change water? My opinion is that the trace element concern is more of retail driven worry, maybe someone out there tests regularly for these trace elements and can shoot down my theory. I haven't done a water change in years, corals look great, fish thrive and overall system is very healthy. But hey thats just my opinion

Mushroom_Mania
01/07/2007, 10:52 AM
I do at least a 15 percent every week....keeps things looking good!! plu sit adds good trace elements to your tank

jacmyoung
01/08/2007, 09:23 PM
My tank is RR ready but is FO at this moment. I have not changed water in one year, in part because my tank has no easy access to a water source and also I want to see if a more self-sustained system is even possible.

My tank is 120g with a 20g sump, lighted by one 175w 10,000k MH, one 65w actinic PC, two small DBS sandbeds in the sump and one lowly Coralife Super Skimmer rated 65g, all because I don't have room in my sump.

Both my display and sump are covered by glass tops, evaporation is minimal, I only lose a half gallon each week which I top off with tap water.

I have three 4" fish, three 2" and two 1". I feed them every day, one cube of frozen Formula II or I in the morning, one cube of frozen mysis or brime in the evening.

I used to grow chaeto in my sump but about two months ago the chaeto stopped growing, at the same time I learned sugar addtion technique so switched to that and since had removed the chaeto and sump light. I add one tsp of sugar everyday, once in a while add pH-buffer if needed but rarely. My nitrate reads 5 to 10ppm consistently.

Below is the picture taken today:

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/1/16865Tank_02_07_017-4.jpg

reeformadness
01/08/2007, 09:37 PM
Nice tank. I am trying for the same reason as you. I am doing mine as a reef tank though. Only rainsford's gobies at the moment. i do not feed anything. Scared to add any nutrients to system. My nitrates read 1 ppm, but I imagine its mostly tied up in the algae I have in my tank. I just added Phosban reactor and bag of AC this weekend. Also did a good cleaning with a diatom filter. I'll post a pic in a minute. Its 11 months old. It has some algae, but I'm having some fun and learning alot. I might try that Prodibio stuff, but I'm wary of adding stuff intended for systems that get regular water changes. I could go on and on about my plans to improve it, but I'll spare everybody and just update things as I do them.

reeformadness
01/08/2007, 09:46 PM
Here's a pic of mine (I guess that would only be fair). Oh yea, I have not added any corals either because I want to solve the algae problem first and get my rocks real purple (it's on its way, need more janitors and regular dosing). I do have a couple hitchhikers (montipora?) though and they are doing well. I bet it looks pretty boring, but I like to stare at it for hours.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/11484601-07-07_002_1.jpg

Hattie B
01/08/2007, 10:13 PM
sorry DP

Hattie B
01/08/2007, 10:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8900944#post8900944 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by O'Man
. That tank had a plenum.

Did you like this?

_

in one of my nanos I have change about 2 gallons every few months; no fish just 2 sexy shrimp and various corals.

Its interesting as I had a lot of purple coralline, then it all faded and turned to pink and now to green. I find it interesting watching it change as time goes on.

HB

jacmyoung
01/09/2007, 02:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8931476#post8931476 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reeformadness
Here's a pic of mine (I guess that would only be fair). Oh yea, I have not added any corals either because I want to solve the algae problem first and get my rocks real purple (it's on its way, need more janitors and regular dosing). I do have a couple hitchhikers (montipora?) though and they are doing well. I bet it looks pretty boring, but I like to stare at it for hours.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/11484601-07-07_002_1.jpg

Your tank look real nice at the eleventh month without water change. If I were you I would have started adding coral.

As you can see from my tank specs, which are against most conventional wisdom, allow me to keep healthy fish and good water quality yet as self-sustained as it can be.

Until you begin to add, you will never know what to encounter. Had I have more time and resources I would have begun adding coral too but looks like that has to wait a little.

O'Man
01/09/2007, 04:35 PM
Did you like this?

Hattie B

The plenum worked great. My tank went to nitrate levels below those of any of the test kits I tried. When I went to my 90 gallon, I decided to try a DSB instead.