PDA

View Full Version : What are the criteria of becoming the tank of the month?

corals b 4 bills
01/04/2007, 12:24 PM
Last night I was scanning the previous pictures from the tank of the month category it seems to me that for the most part the tanks (except for this month) are either huge monsters, mostly SPS tanks, huge fuge's, 100 sq.ft. fish rooms, ect. that require 100 K to reproduce, don't get me wrong they are all stunning and deserve to have the honors but what is needed to be noticed by the judges or the masses, what would I or you need to do to be chosen? My tank is a year old this month and I know it needs time to mature but I would like to have this goal of having the academy awards of reefkeeping even if it takes a life time If you have some advice you can give me or others your input would be appreciated.

jeffbrig
01/04/2007, 01:03 PM
Basically, you need a very clean, very colorful, and especially mature system. Something that really stands out and makes people say "wow". Then, someone needs to nominate your tank. From the nominees, the editors pick a tank each month. I imagine there's probably a waiting list of nominees as well.

As far as selection criteria, a certain size isn't required, but most long-term reefers who tend to have TOTM quality have moved to larger tanks simply to be able to keep more stuff. Tank rooms are a real luxury for those that have them, but plenty of TOTMs do not have them. Many of the tanks are SPS heavy, and plenty of people cry foul at this perception, but there's always a softy or LPS tank every few months.

I like to think that I have a nice tank, but I have no delusions about it being TOTM quality. :D :D

corals b 4 bills
01/04/2007, 01:25 PM
Thank you for your opinion, I will eventually build a 100 sq.ft. fish building in the back yard ( the wife tolerates my tank but thinks of it the same as most wife's of reefers as having a jack hammer in the living room, not furniture), I guess the list is pretty large but I can't help but try to have the WOW tank, Lately I started having average people (non reefers) come to see my tank and refuse to leave so I should be content with that but time will tell.

Racenrich
01/04/2007, 01:52 PM
Keep it simple and YES you need an established tank....and by no means does it cost 100K......you can do it RIGHT for less than 1K!
Patience my friend...is what i learned!

Enjoy!
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2006/4/aquarium

Rich K.

mistermikev
01/04/2007, 02:07 PM
No offence, awe hell offence: 1k no way. Maybe a nice nano... but that ain't getting TOTM. glass - (75gal maybe)110, light - (CHEAP halide)120, skimmer - (at least)200, circulation... $150 min;
we're at 580 and no water, no sand, no stand, no fish, no corals and dang sure no live rock. If we made a stand material cost would be at least 80. If we go to fish store and get water we're looking at 20. Southdown for sand and we're spendin aroun another 50. Liverock at $3.50/lb(cheap) we'd need 100lbs so lets say another $350. you could go with agrocrete but I don't see that winning TOTM (all agrocrete?). Just for sake of argument lets say agro crete at 40, we're up to 770. Clean up crew at 30, and we have 200 left to stock the thing... and sorry no sump or fuge(can't afford a return pump). buy all frags from kind RCers and we would have a TOTM in about 2-3 years so I take it all back it could be done for 1k, just not very likely.

corals b 4 bills
01/04/2007, 09:55 PM
My tank is worth between 13 and 14 K I know what it costs, What I want to know is how much more will it take to grab the brass ring.

mistermikev
01/05/2007, 09:00 AM
At risk of offence to winners, I think it is a combo of popularity contest, krapload of equipment, excellent pictures, some tidy up maintenance b4 a photo, and a nice tank. My point is that it requires more than just a nice tank and even some luck, IMO. Frankly, the best tanks I have ever seen weren't concerned with TOTM for these reasons. Lets face it we all would like some recognition for all our hard work, and most of us deserve it, but the majority of us will never get it. Good luck though, I hope you do get it.

corals b 4 bills
01/05/2007, 10:17 AM
I don't know why I want this, I 've been doing this for 11 years. Maybe it's because only a dozen people have seen any of my tanks over the years, it could be lack of recognition. This hobby is a lot of work and it would be nice to be appreciated, (this is where I break out the tisues).

mistermikev
01/05/2007, 10:37 AM
I hear ya. Here's a defector idea. Go to the darkside that is "the other forums" that are out there. Less competition might mean more recognition. My fav little one is creative reefing. Nice folks over there and not so many members. good luck! Another option... create your own web site. it's easy. Little html and a place to host it and your there. then you can give yourself TOTM every month! Here's an easy one I built...
w w w dot exhaustprosr dot us
still ironing out some bugs but... perhaps I'll add a secret page for my own little totm... hmm. Gotta run!

corals b 4 bills
01/05/2007, 10:54 AM
Thank you I will!