PDA

View Full Version : Dinos underneith substrate

lakee911
01/04/2007, 06:26 AM
I have crushed coral substrate that I'm in the process of switching out to sand (1/2 way done at this point) and the half of the tank that is not been completed yet is COVERED with dinos UNDER the substrate...that is dinos are on the bottom glass between the crushed coral and glass. Big air bubbles down there too--assuming it's O2 and not H2S because it's not black. The area happens to get light from my fuge underneith--which is also seeing a little bit of dinos itself. :( When I siphon the crushed coral it does not come out--only light brown stuff.

Should I leave it be until I remove all that crushed coral (approx 3 weeks)? Should I then clean and cover it so it gets no light in future?

Should I cover it from light now? Might get lots of die off and releasing of toxins/nutrients?

Thanks,
Jason
glass

lakee911
01/04/2007, 02:11 PM
bump

lakee911
01/05/2007, 06:44 AM
bump

blacktone
01/05/2007, 07:36 AM
Hmm What are your water parameters, and tell us about your setup. How long it's been up, protein skimmers or not, Cleanup crew.

So your saying the crushed coral substrate isn't coming out? I got some Hermit crabs that took care of diatoms overnight. I don't claim to be your solution, just more information would help us. I would just think some hermit crabs would be having at diatoms like a small male dog after another small female dog in heat... I was trying to be funny but.. whatever

lakee911
01/05/2007, 10:40 AM
Hi Jeff,
The problem is with dinos (dinoflagellates) underneith the crushed coral. Water parameters aren't BAD, but could be better. Had been battling some GHA earlier, but its diminishing. A lot growing on the crushed coral too.

Crushed coral WILL be coming out in about 3 weeks. Sand will be put in. I've already done this for one half of the tank and all is fine with that.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20's
Phosphate: 0 w/ rowaphos running
Salinity: 1.023
Temp: 79-80
pH: 8.0 - 8.2

Fuge sits under the tank and some light from it shines up on to the bottom of the display tank, that is it illuminates the underside of the crushed coral. That's where the problem is.