PDA

View Full Version : RODI unit help..

saltyESQ
01/03/2007, 11:18 PM
I just received it today and hooked it up to the end of my faucet.
pre unit 538ppm
post unit 3ppm :D

the problem I am having is that the water only trickles out. At this rate, I think if I ran it all day I would only get about 2 gallons of water.

I can't even figure out where the water is disappearing to also, the rejection tube is small and there is almost no clean water being created, where is all the water going?

If it turn off the clean water tube and build some pressure, then it shoots out for a second or two, but that's it.

any suggestions?

BMitch
01/03/2007, 11:47 PM
What RODI unit do you have? How much RODI water are you trying to produce?

FYI - most units produce 1 gallon of RODI water to 3-5 gallons of waste water per hour.

glaudds
01/04/2007, 12:32 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8891362#post8891362 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by saltyESQ
I just received it today and hooked it up to the end of my faucet.
pre unit 538ppm
post unit 3ppm :D

If this is a new RO/DI unit, your post TDS should be zero.

As far as the lack of production, you may not have enough water pressure coming out of your faucet. Water temperature also affects the amount of production also, though that shouldn't be that much of a factor in our area. You should be getting at least a couple of gallons/hour.

IsaaX
01/04/2007, 12:49 AM
I agree with glaudds. Your TDS should be 0 out of the DI. Around 45 PSI would be the least amount of pressure to get some decent use out of the unit. I run mine at 60 PSI and my TDS coming in is 275 and out of the RO it's 2 and out of the DI is 0. Even my 7 yr old cheapo $40 DI unit I got from Petco gives me 0 TDS

Did you buy your unit used? If so it might be time to replace the filters. What brand unit do you have and what brand RO membrane is in the unit?

Bergovoy
01/04/2007, 02:49 AM
Water production is slow... Did you get the storage cylander withit. That is a good investment. it will produce and store three to five gallons so you can get a pot full at a time without waiting an hour when you want it.

What capacity system did you get? i.e. how may gpg, gallons per day is it??

You may want to upgrade that rate to 80 or more gallons per day... That is usally not too expensive of an upgrade.

And yes, the tds should be zero...

but there is a break in period for that too. Run it for a while.

Also, they also sell a permeate pump, which will help in reducing the waste water amounts, if you are concerned about that sort of thing, which everyone should be.

I can not see throwing three gallons of water away, just to get one gallon of useble water...

and if possible, run the waste water to a seperate storage to use to water plants and wash dishes... or anything other then down the drain,.

And no, my system is not yet plumbed to recycle the wast water yet. It is on the list though... and yes the list is getting longer...

saltyESQ
01/04/2007, 05:51 AM
it seems to have increased in output, as I can get about 5 gallons in a little over 2 hours. I retested the output water and it came back at 0ppm. I purchased it new from filterdirect.

It is rated for 100gpd. So I assume it must be water pressure? Although there seems to be good water pressure when the RO unit is off.

Bergovoy
01/04/2007, 06:17 AM
that is where I got mine. it is a good unit.

IF you live here in Cali, the water pressure is sufficient.

You may want to do a more accurate test for water production rate.

Geta gallon jug, and stop watch it for how long it tankes to fill the jug, then do the math.

One hundred gallons ber day still looks like a trickle.

If you have the water storage tank. Bypass it for the test, or let the water empty the tank, then do the test.

Make sure your water restrictor is installed correctly, i.e. in the right direction...

lthe let us know...

bill

Bebo77
01/04/2007, 09:06 AM
fyi you will want to change out the filters to 75 gpd as that give you a better rejection rate than the 100 gpd filters do.

golfish
01/04/2007, 06:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8892696#post8892696 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by saltyESQ
it seems to have increased in output, as I can get about 5 gallons in a little over 2 hours. I retested the output water and it came back at 0ppm. I purchased it new from filterdirect.

It is rated for 100gpd. So I assume it must be water pressure? Although there seems to be good water pressure when the RO unit is off.

It could be water temp or your restrictor tube isn't the right size.

I too would suggest you swa out that 100 gpd membrane for a lesser one...Its a drinking water membrane, swapping it out will help your DI resin last longer.

gtrestoration
01/04/2007, 07:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8892732#post8892732 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bergovoy
that is where I got mine. it is a good unit.

IF you live here in Cali, the water pressure is sufficient.

At my house I have about 35 PSI. Two house away they have 90 PSI but that's on a different main. At the shop I installed a regulator because line pressure is about 100 PSI. Both in Cali. :lol:

I make water for drinking only now at the house and use a booster pump or I'd get maybe 10gpd out of my 75gpd RO.

State law minimum is somewhere around 25 PSI.

SteveU

saltyESQ
01/04/2007, 08:13 PM
It took 25 minutes to fill a 1 gallon jug.

where is the restricter tube?

will a 75gpd have less waste water?

golfish
01/04/2007, 09:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8898381#post8898381 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by saltyESQ
I
where is the restricter tube?

on the waste water side.......

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8898381#post8898381 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by saltyESQ

will a 75gpd have less waste water?

probably more waste water in compression.......

golfish
01/04/2007, 09:12 PM
It took 25 minutes to fill a 1 gallon jug.

next time measure the amount of waste per good

Bergovoy
01/04/2007, 11:11 PM
That puts you up to about 75 gallons per day.

That is close. You may have to check your water pressure since I am being corrected on the minimum state standard.

And I did not mean every place in California as there are some rural areas that have well water too. and some local cities control thier water supplies, and those other cities that are still years behind the rest of us..

I saw that you were in glendale, and most of glendale is on Los Angeles Water and Power, and they are usually pretty good, but you may be in an outskirt or someplace else.

But at three gallons per hour, you are at seventyfive gallons per day.

One hundred gallons is still a trickle...

glaudds
01/04/2007, 11:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8900227#post8900227 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bergovoy

I saw that you were in glendale, and most of glendale is on Los Angeles Water and Power,

Actually, Glendale has their own water and power department, though we get our water from MWD and local wells.

Mike, you may want to see what your TDS is post membrane and before your DI to see what kind of rejection rate you're getting.

Bergovoy
01/05/2007, 12:55 AM
I am batting a thousand here.

I could have sworn i did a project in Glendale and had to go to LA for water permits...

Oh well..