PDA

View Full Version : easy way to kill Xenia in the tank?

fish_taste_good
01/03/2007, 10:42 PM
Is there an easy way to kill xenia in my tank without harming other corals?

I have fragged over 900 dollars worth of it and at 8 dollars a rock, that's a lot of frags.

I can't seem to get it under control. It grows faster than I can frag it.

I am about to resort to trading my liverock for other pieces but that could introduce things in my tank I do not want.

Any advice? I have tried fragging it and then scrubbing the rock out of the tank to remove any piece of the xenia leftover but it either regrows or spreads from another rock.

Help!!!!!!!!!!!

flfirefighter13
01/03/2007, 11:02 PM
no good help from me, but im taggin along, maybe you should keep fraggin and use the funds to start a new tank:)

smcdonn
01/03/2007, 11:07 PM
My topoff stuck open and put my tanks salinity to 1.006 for a day or so. I lost a few SPS and my frogspawn but ALL the xenia melted away. That was the only good part of what happened.

beashay
01/03/2007, 11:07 PM
I have read where people have used xenia in their sumps to buff the water, could be an idea.

flfirefighter13
01/03/2007, 11:08 PM
hmmmmmmm I think Ill try that on saturday, I can dip a few rocks no problem even if it kills all the bacteria, luckily y problem rocks ar pretty barren besides the xenia.

sunfish11
01/03/2007, 11:09 PM
Put some hydnophora (sp?)frags near the problem areas to control the spread. This very aggressive and beautiful coral will kill it. This is hard coral so you should have good lighting. Keep it away from coral you want to keep. Some other corals seem to control the encroachment in my tank. When it gets to close to my Fox Coral the stalk dies off. I have heard of injecting it with different chemicals but feel wary of those solutions. I kept it pretty isolated and let it crawl up the side of the tank for easy removal. Cut it close to the rock with a pair of clippers and then put another coral with stingers (bubble or frogspawn maybe) over it. Just some suggestions...

Lisa

sunfish11
01/03/2007, 11:13 PM
Also, be wary of FW dipping your live rock. Zenia could live or die but you could kill of sponges and such inside the rock that could cause a nasty little cycle if you put directly back into the tank. I have heard of using the zenia as a scrubber as well but I think that the jury is still out on the benifits of that.

Hugeness
01/04/2007, 01:15 AM
I believe the best method to remove them from rocks is to put the rocks in a bucket and raise the temperature to 90. The bacteria will be just fine, but the xenia will melt. Some of your other critters on the rock might make it as well.

Xenia King
01/04/2007, 01:27 AM
I'm not sure why you would want to kill a 900.00 dollar profit. In this hobby that money could go to good use. I frag my xenia and profit about 200 a month. Any way as I'm sure you know 90 degree and you will see a melt down. Get a 10 gal tank for 10.00 and heat it up and melt the profit away.

fish_taste_good
01/04/2007, 01:38 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8892140#post8892140 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Xenia King
I'm not sure why you would want to kill a 900.00 dollar profit. In this hobby that money could go to good use. I frag my xenia and profit about 200 a month. Any way as I'm sure you know 90 degree and you will see a melt down. Get a 10 gal tank for 10.00 and heat it up and melt the profit away.

I'll post a picture of the tank tomorrow and show you why...

I do not want to kill it ALL off completely. Just the 90 percent or so that is on my rock now and not on my "island rock" in the sand.

As for Xenia in the sump, mine is in there too. Small pieces have attached to the LR in there too.

fish_taste_good
01/04/2007, 01:50 AM
I went ahead and took one now.

To put in perspective, the hammer in the center is about the size of two softballs and there is a a baseball sized brain above it in the rock (slowly being covered by Xenia).

This is why:

http://www.trippbrown.com/reef_tanks/90_Gallon/Tank/full_tank_01-04-07.JPG

Tripspike
01/04/2007, 01:55 AM
I have an idea....replace the tank with a new tank and put this one in the basement and continue to grow and frag Xenia....sounds like a never ending source of fuds...the proverbial money tree...:dance:

Trip

Xenia King
01/04/2007, 01:58 AM
I see!! It has gotten out of control. I keep mine cut back. I harvest mine like you would a garden. If I were you I would just cut all the xenia at the bottom of the stock save it in a bag. (give it to LFS) Take the rock that you cut it off from and dip it in a bucket of 90 degree tank water and it should melt off scrub with wire brush. I do know what you mean if you don't get evey little piece it will grow back.

fish_taste_good
01/04/2007, 03:19 AM
hmm - i might have to try that.

any other ideas?

This is a 90 gallon with ALOT of live rock. Some of the base pieces are much too large to fit in a pot

Xirxes23
01/04/2007, 03:27 AM
take one full day and take it all out. Put it in buckets and cut the xenia to shreds, at the base. Attach it all to new BASE rock, and sell it for up to 15dollars PER 3 HEADS to your LFS. take remaining xenia/nubs on LR in this tank or another and keep it going.

Use funds to buy replacement LR and move this to a culturing tank.

Well worth it.

fish_taste_good
01/04/2007, 03:34 AM
not really noted but I do have a ten gallon tank where I frag it all in. I have gotten to the point where I just line the bottom of the ten gallon with reef rubble and drop the xenia in there an let it grow in there.

the only store in the Tampa area I can get rid of it it at gives me 8 a rock with three heads on it. I have tried selling it for cash on the reef board but to little success.

I wish I could get 15 a rock for it.

My 10 gallon is full of it too.

pledosophy
01/04/2007, 03:41 AM
tank looks great. :D

kass03
01/04/2007, 06:47 AM
get a bonecutter (Doc Fosters carries them) or similar (scissors, scissor toenail clipper) and cut the rock off under the xenia. Just a small part of the rock.
The xenia wont grow back there and you have an instant frag.

Thats what I do when I don't want it to spread too much.

kass

RA
01/04/2007, 07:32 AM
I understand your problem, I have had problems with this also and I haven't found a good solution. I even pulled a piece of rock out of my tank that was covered in it and took it to my sink where I ran hot water over it and scrubbed it with a wire brush, and it came back!

msman825
01/04/2007, 07:58 AM
900$ :eek1: eek1
:eek2: eek2 I would be selling more frags, and bigger frags. And start me a 120 with even more Xenia

dpearly88
01/04/2007, 09:33 AM
My alkalinity dropped way low for a while and that killed the xenia among other things. But the live rock and sand was still teaming with life. My leathers and mushrooms made it too.

EnderG60
01/04/2007, 10:20 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8891278#post8891278 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by smcdonn
My topoff stuck open and put my tanks salinity to 1.006 for a day or so. I lost a few SPS and my frogspawn but ALL the xenia melted away. That was the only good part of what happened.

yup same thing for me but mine only went from 1.025 to 1.019 over about 2 hours. Killed all my pom pom and most of my elongata

nothing else cared

cristhiam
01/04/2007, 10:35 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8892886#post8892886 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RA
I understand your problem, I have had problems with this also and I haven't found a good solution. I even pulled a piece of rock out of my tank that was covered in it and took it to my sink where I ran hot water over it and scrubbed it with a wire brush, and it came back!

I did this too to mine and it came back!! I cycle the 125 with it and it survived also I put a piece in my QT when I was using hypo on my fish just to see what happen and survived for about 2 weeks at 1.009!!! and no lights just room lights. I sold one on ebay I sent it out to AZ, the frag got lost for 2 days and when the customer got it, it was in bad shape but survived!! I just gave up on it, I just keep cutting it once in a while and it goes toilet surfing. I do flip the rocks from time to time

rwessels
01/04/2007, 01:56 PM
Wow.... In Phoenix, AZ Xenia isn't worth a thing. Many people give it away for free.

JeffandMindy
01/04/2007, 11:19 PM
OMFG...now that is a tank covered with Xenia...lmao
I was thinking overgroth..but dang.
I never seen anything like that before..lol

JeffandMindy
01/04/2007, 11:22 PM
I was just thinking..
Wouldn't a Angelfish..such as an Queen or something mow them down? That or a Buttefly.