PDA

View Full Version : Near total loss of mixed reef

KyleO
01/03/2007, 10:12 PM
I experienced my worst nightmare yesterday........complete loss of all my fish and inverts during the tank move. I purchased a large pond insert and moved all the fish and inverts along with most of the LR into it with about 100ga of water. Everybody did fine for the two days they were in there.

Anyway, everything (sand, LR, fish and inverts) went into the new tank and everything went into shock and died within the hour. I was able to save the giant clams and some polyps going into my nano but.........a total disaster. I am sick over this!!!

I think my mistake was in placing the 50lbs of live sand in a 20ga bucket. I kept the water on top circulating but I think it was just packed to deep and took a big hit. The sand was about 12 inches deep.

There are a few anenomes that are hanging on but not looking too good.

My big concern at this point (and the reason for this thread) is 200lbs of LR. Am I looking at a total loss of the Coraline Algae?

I have tested the water several times and the Amonia and Nitrites are registering but not too bad. The PH is horrible (7.5) and I am working at bringing it up slowly (was 8.4) with Kalk but at this point I am in disater recovery mode. Is there any way to tell if a contaminate got into the system? What should I be looking for?

How much can LR take? Is it fairly hardy or am I looking at a total loss?

Any and all suggestions are very welcome and will be much appreciate......

Very sad

sunfish11
01/03/2007, 10:23 PM
Man, that really sucks. My condolences on your loss. I think that much moved sand would do it alright. That is probably what poisoned your tank. When I moved my 210 I put the old sand in and then I just looked at it and thought noooo.... I don't want to do that and pulled it all back out and replaced it with new and only a cup of the old stuff. All was well. Don't worry about the rock just let it cycle. It should recover although you may have lost most of your pods and stuff it will still house your bacteria and become a live filter again. Coraline will grow again (or unbleach) and the rock will be fine. Once again, I am sorry about your loss. :(

Lisa

fish_taste_good
01/03/2007, 10:53 PM
i'm sorry to hear that...

what i did with all my old sand from my 55 when I upgraded to my 90 was threw almost all of it out even though I kept it in a 20 Long with a lot of water movement.

I kept enough to put about an two inches deep of it in a small chamber in my sump.

I can recall the smell as I pulled all of it out of the 55 and placed it in the 20. It smelt pretty funky so I didn't feel safe using much of it in the 90 which I added 100 pounds of South Down sand to.

In regards to your rock, even if you do lose some of the coraline, it will grow back. I wouldn't sweat it

KyleO
01/03/2007, 11:18 PM
Thanks for your responses (Lisa and Tripp)...........looking back on the whole thing it was really stupid to put all that sand back in!!! I could have easily purchased a few bags of live sand and mixed in a little of the old stuff and everything would have been fine. I was just so focused on the holding tank and the new tank that I just overlooked this aspect.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease regarding the LR........at least it will not be a total loss.

I certainly hope that at least one person sees this thread and avoids my big mistake!!!

lsir
01/03/2007, 11:29 PM
What exactly happens to the sand that causes everything to die?

drummereef
01/03/2007, 11:32 PM
Sorry to hear this. :( If you are talking about the Caribsea live sand then I'd say you would have been in the same boat - so don't beat yourself up over that. It's nothing but a ammonia mess. The live rock will make it through just fine. Believe me, even the best of us make little mistakes that can end up with not so pleasant results. I would bet your next reef will be better than ever. Keep your head up. :)

sunfish11
01/03/2007, 11:44 PM
lsir,

When the sand from an established set up is disturbed a lot of nasty stuff is stirred up and let out into the tank. There may be anerobic areas that release toxins. This is a very simplistic explanation and maybe someone else can explain it in great detail for you. Just take a whiff of some sand from an established tank and you will know what we are talking about.

KyleO,

You wouldn't have wanted to mix it with the live sand. You would want to seed new 'dead' sand with some from your old tank. Most of the bagged live sand causes quite a cycle and I doubt it is very 'alive' in the first place. An 'amonia mess' is the term I believe I just read and I agree.

blot60
01/03/2007, 11:48 PM
Hmm. I am planning a move and an upgrade from 60 to 120. Should I put new sand in my new tank?

nova67
01/04/2007, 12:32 AM
kyleO were in nor cal are you at

nova67
01/04/2007, 12:41 AM
:)

AndyB4784
01/04/2007, 01:48 AM
Blot, i'd use all new sand except for the top 1/2" or so. just pitch the rest, bite the bullet and buy new sand. Learn from KyleO's misfortune.

blot60
01/04/2007, 02:31 AM
Im glad I saw this thread. I thought my sand would be good and alive for my new tank. Phew.

KyleO
01/04/2007, 03:44 AM
Thanks everybody...........

Thanks for the kind words drummereef, I appreciate it very much (I have been beating the crap out of myself). Looks like you and I share a lot of common interests...........I played for 15 years (drums).

Blot60: I think drummereef and AndyB4784 are on the money. If I had it to do over again new live sand (or fresh sand) would be the way I'd go......my beautiful (juvenile) Emperor would still be around.

Nova67: I am in the Antioch/Brentwood area

KyleO
01/04/2007, 03:54 AM
I am planning on some new "live" sand to help cut down the ammonia mess quicker............

I am wondering if I should take some of the old sand out or just let it cycle?

Thoughts?

blot60
01/04/2007, 03:57 AM
Im sorry about your tank I hope it works out man.

poppin_fresh
01/04/2007, 11:40 AM
Sorry about your loss.

When I upgraded my tank last time, I took the sand and reused it in my new 'fuge. The 'fuge is an external 20L that I left offline from the main system for a few weeks. During this time I saw a massive cycle caused by moving the sand. Afterwards though, it has never been a problem and its doing great.

sunfish11
01/04/2007, 07:55 PM
Vaccum out the old sand really well and just let it go. New live sand wont help at this point unless you remove all the old stuff. The damage seems to be done already.