PDA

View Full Version : Emerald Crabs

grouper25
01/03/2007, 05:46 PM
I have read many debates here about the pros and cons of Emeralds in a Reef tank. I have a small nano of 20 gallons in addition to a 220 reef I am starting. The 20 has 3 emeralds which are alot of fun to watch. For whatever reason, one of the Emeralds has gotten huge and looks like he is on steroids. Lately, I have noticed some small patches of coraline missing from rock and some apparent damage to zoos. This morning when I put the light on, I caught the bugger red handed munching away on coraline in one claw and zoos in the other. So, lesson learned here is be careful with these guys in a large tank where you may not be able to remove them. He may be headed to the steamer!!!!
G25

TWallace
01/03/2007, 05:57 PM
How big is yours? I got 3 almost a year ago, two died a few months later, but the third is still alive and pretty large. Even before the other two died, he was much bigger. I'm pretty sure he's a male and the others were female, I saw them mating a couple of times just after lights out. Mine is about 2 inches wide (measured from the tips of the legs). I've never caught mine eating something I don't want him to. I have lots of zoanthids, too.

On the other hand, I have 3 tiny emerald crabs in my 12g QT which I got to see if they'd eat the bubble algae growing in it. It's been a few months and they haven't done squat to the bubble algae and it's blooming magnificently. Thankfully, I have no bubble algae in my main tank.

IPowderBlueTang
01/03/2007, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I also have three in my 120 gal and one is on steroids also. I think the larger one might be the male, I also observed them picking through my corals. But have not lost anything yet! If he gets naughty, it will end up in my 65 gal Fowlr killer tank!

AquaReeferMan
01/03/2007, 05:58 PM
Yeah I never trust crabs. Even hermits, I only have blue legs and scarlets and I still always look over them. If they are hungry they will eat. IME the larger they get the more/different things they eat.

sbreit
01/04/2007, 06:32 AM
I think they're great with drawn butter!

kass03
01/04/2007, 06:51 AM
They eat algae and prolly don't have enough food in a 20 gal.

3 in a 20 gallon is alot. It was prolly just hungry.

kass

grouper25
01/04/2007, 07:29 AM
The large one is 3 inches accross. Your right , I must now supplement his food with algae wafers. They are alot of fun though to watch.

G 25