PDA

View Full Version : Sexy Shrimp, zoanthid eater?

AquaReeferMan
01/03/2007, 01:10 PM
Well I added 2 sexy shrimp to my tank about 2 months ago. Everything was doing fine. The shrimp always hung in/around my nems and really didnt bother anything. Well over the past month my various zoanthid colonies were not opening. At first I though it was my flame angel since he was somewhat new and was a known polyp nipper. Since I never seen the Flame pick at them I didnt think it was him. I spent some late nights and early mornings watching these shrimp. They would climb onto a polyp and just start pulling from the inside/middle. For a while I though it was just cleaning or doing whatever but they would stay closed. I added a colony of radioactive dragon eyes and they would only stay open for a little bit and the shrimp kept doing the same thing. So for some odd reason, that I dont know of, I actually caught both shrimp one right after the other. I thought to myself there is no way Im getting these little buggers out but it did. Since being moved 5 days ago mostly all colonies are open now. I was a little upset since I really liked those shrimp but my coral is more important. Just figured I would let everyone know. Hopefully this doesnt happen to anyone else. Also has anyone else had problems with sexys?

Lev F.
01/03/2007, 01:41 PM
Mines do that too. They're feeding on the mucous. I guess it's for their proper nutrition or something, just like the Periclemenes Anemone shrimps that eat the mucous of their host. They don't eat a lot though. Mines usually recover fairly quickly.