PDA

View Full Version : 46 Gallon Setup

Kiel'thalin
01/03/2007, 09:50 AM
After about 6 months I decided to upgrade my stand and give a external fuge a try on my 46 gallon reef tank. This is my 1st try at this so I will explain what I have done and any advise would be great.
Right now I am using:
RIO 2100 for a return pump.
Siphon Overflow (1")
10 Gallon Tank as a Fuge (built myself)

The 10 Gallon tank has two bubble traps with a 9"x10" fuge in the middle. I have it plumbed with 5/8'' tubing and 3/4'' PVC with two ball valves and a check valve on the tank return. One return flows back into the tank and the other recycles back into the overflow section on the fuge.
The Return Pump is rated at 692GPH, @ 4 ft it is 375GPH. I am making a durso overflow attachment to stop the gurgling on the siphon overflow. I did the two ball valves in case I wanted to upgrade the sump later down the road with a bigger pump.

What do I put into the fuge section once I get everything up and running? I thought about sand, but will having just cheato or another algae alone work fine with some live rock. This is just a test for a while until I figure out how everything runs then I will upgrade to a bigger custom sump. right now the only thing that fits under the stand is the 10 gallon.

Also the tank side of the siphon overflow seemed to get bubbles in it from the water overflowing in it from the front section. Is there any trick to reduce the amount of bubbles this creates, i.e. flow rate or leveling of the overflow box? I would hate for this thing to break siphon.

After testing everything out I removed it all and making some adjustments to reduce noise and effectiveness. Is there anything input that can help me out here?