PDA

View Full Version : Will eggcrate keep a jawfish from jumping??

onano
01/03/2007, 09:17 AM
I really want a jawfish for my new 75. I currently have eggcrate on top acting as my lid. I am most interested in a yellowhead. I hear so many stories of jumping and am curious to know if the eggcrate will keep him from carpet surfing. I have a 3"-4" sand bed and my plan is to get some LR rubble and pulverize it a bit and have it waiting for the jawfish in a nice pile so it can start working. Is this a good plan??

Fanof49ASU
01/03/2007, 09:27 AM
If you tie the eggcrate to his tail, I'd imagine that would keep him from jumping out.

Seriously, the jawfish could jump through the open space of the eggcrate.
On my clownfish tank, I had eggcrate covered on one side with a fiberglass screen. It reduced my lighting slightly, but I was assured that I wouldn't lose another clown.

FWIW. I am also setting up a 75g and would like a yellowhead.....though, you're ahead of me.

Navyblue
01/03/2007, 09:54 AM
I used to have two layers of eggcrate with their hole staggered to keep my firefish in the tank, you'll effectively have holes down to 1/4 of the original holes depending on how you stack them. But of course, at the expense of even more light.