PDA

View Full Version : SeaClone Skimmers......What's The Problem

Don424
01/02/2007, 10:01 PM
I've read some threads/comments on the SeaClone skimmer that aren't very favorable.

I've seen first hand at several locations where these skimmers are being used and taking out some really nasty stuff.

Is this thing really that bad?.........I've read plenty of other threads on this and others boards where people had trouble with Remora's, ASM's and others!

So why is this one so bad?

:confused:

sherm71tank
01/02/2007, 10:15 PM
Besides being over rated by several times, hard to adjust, requiring frequent adjustment and small collection cup?

bankspower
01/02/2007, 10:18 PM
They're pretty cheap, if you like them I say go ahead and use one. They will skim, but when compared to a decent skimmer they just simply don't skim out as much nasty stuff(volume-wise).

Shawn

Misled
01/02/2007, 10:19 PM
Remember reading older threads about them overflowing often. Big problem IMO.

csb
01/02/2007, 10:27 PM
Seaclones really aren't that bad, they just require some attention ... the adjustment is tricky - damn near impossible in a stock configuration.

The best thing you can do with a seaclone is to modify it by installing a limewood airstone on the end of a length of rigid airline run down from the top through the center into the bottom chamber. This will allow you to have independent control over water and air flow, allowing you to have much greater quantities of air in your mix than the stock seaclone will provide. Also, it will kill the "seaclone" effect, which is half the reason the thing skims like crap anyway ... I have a seaclone running with this modification and it skims very well. (heh, it's almost a pain in the *** because I can't keep up with the collection cup)

--csb

vanmo92
01/02/2007, 10:58 PM
One time I went to a store that had a seaclone on a tank and you could see it running. The cup was 3/4 full of dark skimmate. This was when I was a noobie and I looked at that, and I thought: That looks like it is doing a great job, I'll get one of those. So I did. It didnt really do a good job, I went back there and asked why his cup was so full, he said: "well it hasnt been emptied for a month". I say that next to the lee's airstone skimmer those are one of the worst skimmers on the markek.

JMO.

vessxpress1
01/02/2007, 11:04 PM
This question comes up all the time. There's already been some great answers here so I'll just elaborate a little more.

In theory, it should work great. The problem is SIZE. If you compare one to most other skimmers on the market, the seaclone is too short and compact. The design has that riser tube in there that doesn't even really allow most of the bubbles into the water volume in the unit before the water rushes out the overflow.

Besides this, it's only running on a MJ 1200. I have nothing against MJ 1200s. My current skimmer uses one and they have many uses. That said, I don't think skimmers are their strong suit. Most of the better skimmers use bigger, better pumps with needle wheel impellers to chop the bubbles up finer. Here's a few pics I posted a while back when I got my PM HOT 1+, just for a size and design comparison. I find it hard to like any of the hang on models available but this one does do at least a mediocre job for me:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f203/vessxpress1/PM%20skimmer/newskimmer006.jpg

The PM on the left is rated for a 50 gallon tank. The Seaclone 100 on the right is rated up to 100 gallons. Now, somebody's lying. Skimmers need large or at least long reaction chambers to work well. The bubbles need to stay in the water as long as possible. The Seaclone almost can't allow that to happen.

Oh, did somebody say 'small collection cup'?

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f203/vessxpress1/PM%20skimmer/newskimmer007.jpg

You almost have to compare one with others side by side just so you can see what you're getting. Once you see the differences, you won't be left wondering any more.

drummereef
01/02/2007, 11:10 PM
Basically it comes down to efficiency, imo. Yes they skim but just no where near the amount and quality of a better skimmer. This is one area you want to invest a little money in. Why buy twice! :)

As far as Remora and ASM, some people just give them a bad rap. No, they are not Deltec or Euroreef. But in comparison, the Seaclone ain't even close to the Remora or ASM either. :D

vanmo92
01/03/2007, 12:14 AM
Yea, the size thing is a huge issue. I now have an ASM, and I tell ya, the collection cup on the seaclone would practicly fit IN the cup of my ASM.

Don424
01/03/2007, 02:17 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8883155#post8883155 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by drummereef
Basically it comes down to efficiency, imo. Yes they skim but just no where near the amount and quality of a better skimmer. This is one area you want to invest a little money in. Why buy twice! :)

As far as Remora and ASM, some people just give them a bad rap. No, they are not Deltec or Euroreef. But in comparison, the Seaclone ain't even close to the Remora or ASM either. :D
What about the Typhoon hang on? Can you tell me anything about them?

Don424
01/03/2007, 02:20 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8883109#post8883109 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by vessxpress1
This question comes up all the time. There's already been some great answers here so I'll just elaborate a little more.

In theory, it should work great. The problem is SIZE. If you compare one to most other skimmers on the market, the seaclone is too short and compact. The design has that riser tube in there that doesn't even really allow most of the bubbles into the water volume in the unit before the water rushes out the overflow.

Besides this, it's only running on a MJ 1200. I have nothing against MJ 1200s. My current skimmer uses one and they have many uses. That said, I don't think skimmers are their strong suit. Most of the better skimmers use bigger, better pumps with needle wheel impellers to chop the bubbles up finer. Here's a few pics I posted a while back when I got my PM HOT 1+, just for a size and design comparison. I find it hard to like any of the hang on models available but this one does do at least a mediocre job for me:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f203/vessxpress1/PM%20skimmer/newskimmer006.jpg

The PM on the left is rated for a 50 gallon tank. The Seaclone 100 on the right is rated up to 100 gallons. Now, somebody's lying. Skimmers need large or at least long reaction chambers to work well. The bubbles need to stay in the water as long as possible. The Seaclone almost can't allow that to happen.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f203/vessxpress1/PM%20skimmer/newskimmer007.jpg

You almost have to compare one with others side by side just so you can see what you're getting. Once you see the differences, you won't be left wondering any more.

I see what you mean. That PM is only rated for a 50g? That sucker is huge :eek1:

drummereef
01/03/2007, 02:28 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8884174#post8884174 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Don424
What about the Typhoon hang on? Can you tell me anything about them?

Can't say for sure, but it is the same venturi style as the Seaclone. I would just spend the dough and go with a Super Skimmer or something of a slightly better quality.

cubber
01/03/2007, 08:54 AM
I find the seaclones work ok for small tanks that are 30 gallons or less, and after they are broken in. I have 2 in operation right now on my QT's. They both produce about a cup full of dark skimmate every 3 days or so. I haven't modified either one, but they are the newer design so they already have most of the popular mods incorporated into them. I would say for small tanks with a small bioload like QT's I feel they work well for the money.

Don424
01/03/2007, 10:19 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8884885#post8884885 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cubber
I find the seaclones work ok for small tanks that are 30 gallons or less, and after they are broken in. I have 2 in operation right now on my QT's. They both produce about a cup full of dark skimmate every 3 days or so. I haven't modified either one, but they are the newer design so they already have most of the popular mods incorporated into them. I would say for small tanks with a small bioload like QT's I feel they work well for the money.

I wasn't aware they made any modifications. What were the mods and how did they improve the skimmer>

Do you know anything about the Typhoon hang on?

Don424
01/03/2007, 10:21 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8883109#post8883109 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by vessxpress1

vessexpress1........do you know anything about the Typhoon hang on?

cubber
01/03/2007, 10:34 AM
I have one of the old ones and it is slightly different from the two newer ones that I have. First off there is a seal between the chambers now near the cup, they have reduced the leight of the inner tube and the output where the water flows back into the tank is smaller and slightly angled. Both my newer seaclones work rather well and I don't have to fuss with the air intake at all, pretty much set it and forget it, unless it gets clogged with salt then I just run some hot water through them. But like I said, I wouldn't use them on anything bigger than a 30 or 40 gallon tank and deffinitly not on a tank with a heavy bioload.

Check the pic at this link http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products/KW/seaclone/Class//T1/F49BA+0062+0125/EDP/1197/Itemdy00.aspx#

you can see some differences. Oh and one more thing, I never use the sponge on mine, that seams to hinder the skimmer alot.

cubber
01/03/2007, 10:49 AM
sorry I havent heared anything about the typhoon hang on. Personally if I were to purchase another skimmer for a small tank it would probably be the tunze nano or a remora.