PDA

View Full Version : How long for bacteria to grow on ceramic rings?

jamal-188
01/02/2007, 09:18 PM
I placed a bag of ceramic rings in my sump for bacteria to grow on so I can then put them in my qt tank filter to help with keep the tank a little cleaner. How long does it take for beneficial bacteria to start growing on the rings?

Dr.FuManchu
01/03/2007, 08:44 AM
Ditch the rings and replace with live rock rubble. The rings are not good to have, they become nitrate producing which is something you try to avoid in a reef.

jamal-188
01/03/2007, 08:55 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8884842#post8884842 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dr.FuManchu
Ditch the rings and replace with live rock rubble. The rings are not good to have, they become nitrate producing which is something you try to avoid in a reef.

They are not to be left in my reef tank... they are in there just to pick up some biological bacteria and then to be thrown in my QT filter while I have a fish in there.

bphillips
01/03/2007, 09:03 AM
Two weeks was the number I was given, I'm currently doing the same thing.

jamal-188
01/03/2007, 11:48 AM
Sounds good, this fish might have to come home before then...might just throw a pound or two of rubble rock just to help.

I always have an issue with uneaten food and new fish, maybe a few hermits or snails would keep the tank a bit cleaner so ammonia/nitrite doesn't build up as quickly.

dcombs44
01/03/2007, 11:53 AM
I use a sponge filter in my sump for my qt. It does have it's downsides aka nitrates, but they are still undetectable in my tank, and I rinse the sponge with RO/DI every week or so.