PDA

View Full Version : kent marine phosphate sponge problems

hammerswinger
01/02/2007, 06:50 PM
anyone have any negative experiences with kent phosphate sponge? i just put some in a phos ban reactor on my 4 year old 26 bow and i came home today and my red mushroom has turned brownish and my kenya tree has shriveled up. I have been in the hobby along time so the tank is perfect and has been thriving for 4 years. went from small frags to totally covered rock work!! I thought the kent spoonge was not aluminum oxide and would not bother soft corals. I put a 50/50 mix of kent P04 sponge and kent activated carbon in the reactor and it is fed by a mini jet at about 60 gph. remora skimmer w/mj1200, nano stream 6025. star polyps are good everything else is rough looking.

t11t5
01/04/2007, 03:02 AM
try this stuff. PÛRA PhosLock
My friend had the same prob then switched to this and it works great..

http://saltycritter.com/filtermedia.htm

Peter Eichler
01/04/2007, 03:30 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8880948#post8880948 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hammerswinger
anyone have any negative experiences with kent phosphate sponge? i just put some in a phos ban reactor on my 4 year old 26 bow and i came home today and my red mushroom has turned brownish and my kenya tree has shriveled up. I have been in the hobby along time so the tank is perfect and has been thriving for 4 years. went from small frags to totally covered rock work!! I thought the kent spoonge was not aluminum oxide and would not bother soft corals. I put a 50/50 mix of kent P04 sponge and kent activated carbon in the reactor and it is fed by a mini jet at about 60 gph. remora skimmer w/mj1200, nano stream 6025. star polyps are good everything else is rough looking.

Thje Kent stuff was aluminum oxide last I checked. If it's white rather than the rusty red color then that's your problem.