PDA

View Full Version : Removing algae patches?

SA057
01/02/2007, 06:42 PM
I have several “patches” of green hair algae around my tank. They don’t cause any problems, but they are annoying. How do I remove them? Is there something I can “shoot” directly at them? I have several small spots of green “slime” algae too. Can it be killed off with something? I also have 2 or 3 small green bubble algae balls which I can’t get to. They have been there for sometime now. If I can’t get them out what will happen over time with them? All these are small items, but I would like to rid the tank of them! Other than this my tank stayes clean and healthy so I don't want these things to take over. :rolleyes:

SA057
01/03/2007, 09:26 AM
Does anyone know how to treat this stuff? :confused:

Obi-dad
01/03/2007, 12:21 PM
Short term, manual removal (toothbrush, siphon).
Long term, get nutrient levels under control (fuge with chaetomorpha, water changes, skimmer, phosphate removal, carbon).

Herbivores will help, some snails will eat some algaes, fish like rabbitfish will eat many algaes.

I use a combination of all of the above.

SA057
01/03/2007, 01:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8885953#post8885953 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Obi-dad
Short term, manual removal (toothbrush, siphon).
Long term, get nutrient levels under control (fuge with chaetomorpha, water changes, skimmer, phosphate removal, carbon).

Herbivores will help, some snails will eat some algaes, fish like rabbitfish will eat many algaes.

I use a combination of all of the above.
I too have all of the above in use at the current time. The problem is these things are the result of previous issues. I think the long term problem is solved I just need help eliminating the leftovers from the original problem. I do run carbon, phospads, skimmer, cheato etc, but it only keeps things under control it doesn't remove the original "crap". The green slime removes fairly easy (if I can get to it), but the green hair is something else. I can't pull it out it is almost glued to the rocks. :rolleyes:

drummereef
01/03/2007, 01:51 PM
How about your water source? Do you use RO/DI water? And is the tds 0?

SA057
01/03/2007, 03:14 PM
Yes, RO/DI testing zero. My tds does read one sometimes but I think that is from a cheap meter.

jeffhaag
01/03/2007, 06:16 PM
When I had a hair algea problem when I first started my tank, I used manual removal. Once I had it trimmed pretty low, I just placed 3-4 snails on each night for about 2 weeks and it was all gone. Never had any luck with emerald crabs or Rainfordi gobies or anything else that WAS supposed to eat it.

SA057
01/03/2007, 06:18 PM
I guess I can grab up a snail and drop him in it?