PDA

View Full Version : Where to get Lugol's Solution today?

tkeracer619
12/31/2006, 11:52 AM
I am going to move my frags in my nano over to my Display. It has been a month in a fishless environment, but I want to dip these corals just in case anything is on them I didn't notice.

Were do I get lugol's solution? I am needing this today.

Is this stuff just iodine? Can I get kent Iodine at petkiller and it be the same?

garretsoccer2
12/31/2006, 02:32 PM
It's not quite the same, but you could get Kent-D (dip for coral and fish), you should be able to find it at any lfs or the "petkiller."

Clown-N-Around
12/31/2006, 02:55 PM
I have Tech-I and Lugols on hand - the ingredients are the same except the stabalizers in the Tech-I (it is supposed to be slow release): deionized water, potassium iodide, iodine. The strengths are very different (and possibly the iodide to iodine ratios, they ingredients are in the same order, but no guarantee that they are made with the same ratio).

For the Lugols ~ 1 drop per 25 gallons as a supplement, 40 drops per 1 gallon for a dip.

Tech-I (ongoing, not 1st 3 weeks) one teaspoon per 50 gallons as a supplement.

At that rate, it would take 20 teaspoons per gallon of dip if the dosage works out to be proportional- which I can't guarantee. Especially because of the slow release qualities of the Tech-I I probably wouldn't use it as a dip. But the regular Kent Iodine might work if it also has the same ingredients, you just may need 1/2 the bottle ;) Since overdosing iodine is a bad thing and with no explicit directions, I would be very careful and watch the subject closely. If it were me, I would first look for something that is designed to be a dip and has the correct dosage right on the bottle.

tkeracer619
01/01/2007, 07:44 PM
Thanks, I ended up going without any dips. I broke out a magnifying glass and didn't find anything. Also I haven't seen anything bad in the qt other than aptasia so I stopped worrying and just put them in.