PDA

View Full Version : OK, I didn't expect this!

Kevomac
07/19/2002, 11:01 AM
Well, after Doris spit out the shrimp I'd soaked in Zoecon yesterday, I figured I'd make her happy by giving her a live crawfish. She had disappeared in the tnak yesterday afternoon, and I assumed that she would be one of the PVC pipes I had put in the tank for her. I didn't think she would be under the rock in the corner because that's where one of the green serpents hangs out, and I figured he would get on her nerves.

I dropped the crawdad into the tank near the pipe she was in and got no reaction, so I picked up the pipe and found she wasn't in it. So I looked in the other pipe and she wasn't in it either. By now I was getting worried, so I picked up the rock in the corner. I was in the closet (the tank is built into the wall of the bedroom and sits in the closet) and my wife was on the other side. I asked if my wife could see Doris as I turned the rock over, and she said no. Then I looked down into the tank and saw her clinging to the underside of the rock in a hollowed out spot. I put her back down, and moved the crawdad to her side of the tank, and it headed right for the rocks. Boom, she rushed out, grabbed him, we watched him struggle, then he quit fighting, and she let him go. We figured she would eat him soon. That was 7:30 last night CST. It's not almost 11:00, and not only has she not eaten him, but he's still alive! I can't believe he survived this long in saltwater. He's actively exploring his new home, and she remains under the rock.

Should I be worried here? I know she's ok, because I saw her reaching out from under the rocks last night, but what should I do? Just wait and see?

Sorry this is so long, but thought the detials were important.

cephalopoder
07/19/2002, 11:27 AM
I would do water tests and see if every thing is ok. What is your salinity? What brand of salt do you use? Temp? It is unusual for a bimac to not eat unless its stressed some how. Have you tried ghost shrimp?

Kevomac
07/19/2002, 08:55 PM
The temp in my tank is about 76, my nitrites are 0, nitrates between 0-20 (0 on one test, between 10 and 20 on another), my SG is 1.024, I haven't checked the ph yet. I will try ghost shrimp tomorrow. Right now I'm trying to decide if I should lift her rock and check on her or if I should leave her alone. Any other suggestions?

SushiGirl
07/19/2002, 10:01 PM
Did you check for eggs under that rock?

jimichonga
07/19/2002, 10:16 PM
It sounds like you like to pick up your rocks-pvc a lot to "check on Doris", you could be stressing her out (she might be hiding from YOU). Chill, and give her a chance to feel safe in her new environment.

Just put yourself in her "shoes". If something 100xs my sizes kept picking up my home looking for me, I'd split too. LoL

Not trying to be harsh, just my 2 cents.

Also, you might want to try some smaller sized hermit crabs to get her started eating.

Good luck

Kevomac
07/20/2002, 11:28 AM
Now I'm glad I decided not to pick up the rock! :) :)

When we went to bed last night My wife said that the crayfish had finally gone belly up, but I decided to let it be until morning. This morning when we got up, there was no sign of the crayfish or Doris. Since the only onther critters that could have eaten it are green serpents, none of which was bulging strangely this morning, I assume she ate it. (I hope, I hope, I hope.) I'll leave the rock alone for now. I only lifted it the other night because I was worried that she might have escaped, and I wanted to make sure she wasn't anywhere in the tank before I tore apart my closet. One side of the tank is against a bar of hanging clothes. Also, I had an octo get into one of my overflow boxes years ago. Luckily, I was able to rescue that one and he lived for me for about six months before he stopped eating and died.

Kevomac
07/20/2002, 11:30 AM
Also, my salt is Reef Crystals Marine Mix. Any comments, suggetions, constructive criticism is welcome. Doris and I thank you!

cephalopoder
07/20/2002, 12:33 PM
If you can get superball / ping pong ball sized hermit crabs and some astrea snails to ad to the tank the octo will eat them when it gets hungry. I would stock the tank op with them and just let the octo settle in and try not to watch it too much and see what happens. What is your PH?