PDA

View Full Version : A price worth paying to lose the flatworms

MikeyP
07/19/2002, 07:41 AM
Recently my heater failed on while I was away. The tank was up at 95F for 2 or 3 days. Plently losses (Gobies, various soft corals (bleached), organ pipe, gonoporia, yellow polyps etc) Most Calciforous algaea bleached. BUT ALSO ALL THE FLATWORMS!!!

Survived: Green Maze coral (thrived!!), all snails and crabs, many small polyps, mushrooms (fell off but alive), most DSB critters. Basically the whole little ecosystem appears to be (fully functioning again as normal). Calcium when sky high with the temp rise (maybe this killed the flatworms?). This is now back to normal after a few water changes.

To me this was a price worth paying! I found the seeming inability to ever get rid of my flatworms so depressing that I was really losing interest in the tank (whole hobby).

gas4544
07/19/2002, 10:56 AM
Another heater failure - I just responded to another post about a heater that wiped out a tank. At least in your case you can see a silver lining in this dark cloud of disaster. I had a ten-gallon nano tank go down on me after using Chemi-clean and my flatworms are gone also in that tank.