PDA

View Full Version : ORP Reading

u1alift
07/18/2002, 10:30 PM
I have recently (4 weeks ago) hooked up my aquacontroller, I love this new toy, so does my tank. My question is what is a good ORP reading? My tank has been up since Nov. 01 and I have never checked ORP. My meter has finnaly settled in at 480-500 with the highest reading in the evening.

I just dont know what a GOOD/BAD number or goal should be.

I do not have an ozoneizer hooked up to this tank.

Thanks for your responce in advance.

Ed

Randy Holmes-Farley
07/19/2002, 07:46 AM
ORP is something that people put more emphasis on in the past than at present. There isn't really any optimal ORP (at least that I am aware of). People have fine tanks anywhere between the upper 200's and about 500 mv.

If you were using ozone, an ORP controller might be a good idea to avoid overdosing. If you are not using ozone (or other oxidizing agent) then I'd not spend much time worrying about the ORP.

One way that it can be used is to monitor it over time. If you see a sudden drop, then something may have died. That might give you advance warning that you would want to figure out if that missing fish is just rotting behind some rocks, etc.

I've not personally measured ORP in my tank for about 5 years, despite having the equipment to do so.

u1alift
07/19/2002, 08:12 AM
Randy,

Thanks for the reply. Well at least I know I wont need to replace the probe when/if it ever goes bad. We will just monitor and not worry.

Ed

Randy Holmes-Farley
07/19/2002, 12:59 PM
We will just monitor and not worry.

Sounds like a good plan!