PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready to build my sump......

kookerson
12/26/2006, 09:26 PM
Alright, the time has FINALLY come to build my sump and the only thing I need to do is order the glass and pick it up tomorrow....however im not sure how wide to tell them to cut the glass? The inside of the 40 gallon tank im using is exactly 14.5 inches wide.....so should I have them cut it at 14-3/8" to allow a little wiggle for me to get it in there, or should I get as close as possible? If it helps, im using GE Silicon I and the top of the Aquarium has a plastic rim around the top that overlaps the inside of the tank by about 1/4"........

kookerson
12/26/2006, 11:31 PM
Please guys....it would really help to get an answer before I have to go to work.........otherwise Ill just assume to have it cut an 1/8" short......thanks! : )

Bergovoy
12/26/2006, 11:49 PM
I wish I kenw... I wnat to the same information...
Cmon guys...

Alittle help??

kookerson
12/26/2006, 11:54 PM
A little Off Topic......but I see your from Monrovia.....im from Arcadia and miss it EVERY day!

tekknoschtev
12/27/2006, 12:06 AM
When we had our baffles cut we had them cut 1/8" short of the max dimension. In essence, it would be 1/16" on either side after its put in which is a reasonable clearance given that there is a relatvely low amount of pressure onthe sump's baffles. At least that seems to reason and work with the baffles we have.

Bergovoy
12/27/2006, 12:26 AM
I would miss it too.

But then again, I moved here from Haleiwa Hawaii, so I miss that more...

kookerson
12/27/2006, 12:40 AM
Right on! Thank you very much for the help! And Bergevoy, give the hills a good glance of admiration for me! : )

fishnut321
12/27/2006, 01:34 AM
hey, i know its too late, but you will probably have to get it re-cut... you have to make enough clearance to kinda wedge the glass inside the tank since you cant drop it down vertically due to the plastic rim at the top.... ive made this mistake before, and im currently building a 30 gallon sump... what i did was take a piece of 1/4 scap plexi glass square it up and cut it shorter and shorter till i found a length that would fit. hope this helps, dont try and forceably wedge the baffles in... you will over time cause the aquarium to become weak. If you have to re-size the baffles, the glass company will have to sand it down and it wont be perfectly sqare.

oh by the way, get a smoother for the silicone.... it makes it look professional and its quick, you can find them with the silicone, it yellow, pretty hard to miss..

good luck to ya!

Steverino
12/27/2006, 09:11 AM
I was goofing around and an 1/8' gap worked for me. Since the baffles don't go from top to bottom, you can put them in kinda sideways to get around the plastic rim at the top. BTW, you can ask the glass place to cut the top edge smooth, and the side edges sharp where you silicone.. Also, I use what is called "shelf glass" it is thicker, harder to break. when yo are moving around equipment in the sump, the bafles get knocked by accident, so the investment of a buck or so extra is worth it. This comes from talking to others with bad experiences. Are you using plans form a specific website? I am getting up the energy to do one myself, doing calculations, but I am not 100% sure what size tank I should use yet.

kookerson
12/27/2006, 09:17 AM
Yeah....go to melev's reef site......he has EVERYTHING you need to know about sumps and even has quit a few really cool sump design plans........that site has helped me out tremendously!

Steverino
12/27/2006, 09:44 AM
So you are using a 40 gallon tank as a sump, for what size main tank? I can calculate how much water room I need, adding up the inches of water from my tank, the water in the piping, then adding in some head space in case of a power fialure or loss of siphon, etc. But, how do you know this sump is big enough to keep your main tank clean? How do you know how much Chaeto and sandbed you need? I am just going by what I have seen from other reefers with similar stocking levels of fish and sand and live rock, and the fact they have zero nitrates.

Bergovoy
12/27/2006, 09:59 AM
Some people would actually call those hills, MOUNTAINS

But will do. They are actully quite pretty today, as it is a bit over cast with some real weather clouds looming over them, unlike the typical smog brown crap that hovers there most of the time...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8832647#post8832647 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kookerson
Right on! Thank you very much for the help! And Bergevoy, give the hills a good glance of admiration for me! : )

Hopeful Reefer
12/27/2006, 10:31 AM
There is another method you can look at...removable baffles...check this out, very cool...called Pressure Locking Sump Baffles (http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_3/cav3i1/Baffles/baffles.htm)

fishnut321
12/27/2006, 12:26 PM
melevs reef has a glas sump design for a 40 breeder, check it out.... i would recommend permanent baffles, silicone is easy to work with

Bergovoy
12/27/2006, 07:33 PM
I can handle silicone no problems...

Bill

kookerson
12/27/2006, 08:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8833675#post8833675 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Steverino
So you are using a 40 gallon tank as a sump, for what size main tank? I can calculate how much water room I need, adding up the inches of water from my tank, the water in the piping, then adding in some head space in case of a power fialure or loss of siphon, etc. But, how do you know this sump is big enough to keep your main tank clean? How do you know how much Chaeto and sandbed you need? I am just going by what I have seen from other reefers with similar stocking levels of fish and sand and live rock, and the fact they have zero nitrates.

My main display is going to be a 75 Gallon AGA. I calculated it out with my baffles and what not and figure that the sump will be adding ABOUT 30 gallons to my system.....which I think is sufficient as Ive seen people run 20 gallon sumps on there systems ( Which only adds about 10 - 15 gallons). Basically, just go with what your are comfortable with.......if you want a 75 gallon sump for your 75 gallon tank....then go for it! Heck, ive even seen people run 10 gallon sumps on their systems! : ) As far as how much chaeto and sand Ill need......im just gonna wing it until i get good results! : )

kookerson
01/02/2007, 07:16 PM
Well, i got my glass and everything fit really nice.........but as the first baffle was curing, the back panel cracked! : ( I wish there was a way to fix it, but I dont think there is. Kind of a kick in the nuts being that it had mild sentimental value....... : (

Hopeful Reefer
01/02/2007, 08:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8881137#post8881137 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kookerson
Well, i got my glass and everything fit really nice.........but as the first baffle was curing, the back panel cracked! : ( I wish there was a way to fix it, but I dont think there is. Kind of a kick in the nuts being that it had mild sentimental value....... : (

Where the panels tight or was there some sort of gap like 1/8" between both sides of the baffle and tank walls?

kookerson
01/02/2007, 09:01 PM
My clamps were too tight.......totally my fault. i was hoping that there would be a way to save it, but the more I think about it, the more im convinced that it probably isnt going to happen.....

Hopeful Reefer
01/02/2007, 09:05 PM
Was it the baffle that cracked or the tank wall? If it was the baffle, no bigge just go buy another piece of glass...

If it was your tank wall that cracked, then you will need to go out and buy another tank...just look at it this way, it was a sign that you just need to go buy the biggest tank that will fit under your stand for your new sump... :D Remember, the more water volume in your system the better...

kookerson
01/02/2007, 09:32 PM
Ummm, yeah, that WAS the biggest that will fit under my tank! LOL! I guess i just needed the practice! : ) Im gonna go this weekend and pick up a 30 Gallon AGA........... not as big as the 45 I had, but that's the biggest thing that they carry around hear within an hour and a half!