PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with a 20 gal conversion

NickBee
12/26/2006, 12:22 PM
Here’s where I stand with a design for converting my 20 gal tank with a 10 gal sump for a reef tank (see image). My plan is to use 2 pumps. One for the return from the sump, one for a closed loop to provide more flow. I’d like to split the return from each pump to spread out the flow of water.

Here are some questions:

• I’d like to use ball and socket flex pipe for the 4 returns so I can direct the flow. Is there a system that works well with bulkheads? An online source would be great.

• What size tubing should I be using? I plan to have one tube from the tank to the pumps then splitting the return to spread out the flows...

• What size pumps should be used?

Thanks a bunch!

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/142554tank3.JPG

Charles99
12/26/2006, 03:16 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8828805#post8828805 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NickBee
• I’d like to use ball and socket flex pipe for the 4 returns so I can direct the flow. Is there a system that works well with bulkheads? An online source would be great.
Check out MarineDepot.com. Search Loc Line.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8828805#post8828805 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NickBee
• What size tubing should I be using? I plan to have one tube from the tank to the pumps then splitting the return to spread out the flows...
This all depends on the pumps your using and what you want to keep in there. Seems like tons of water movement for a small tank, but I don't know what you plan on keeping.

• What size pumps should be used?
Again- how much flow do you want. Use ReefCentral's Head Loss Calculator on the main page to find out a theoretical loss. The type/ size of your pump w/ also depend on vertical height from tank and plumbing.

NickBee
12/26/2006, 04:01 PM
I am setting this tank up mostly for a reef system. I’d like to not be limited on my selection do to water flow…

thanks