PDA

View Full Version : 90 gal to a 300 gal

Biggie
12/22/2006, 08:43 PM
I need some suggestions on how to minimize the stress on my live stock.
I have a well established 90 gal with some SPS and 7 fish that I will be transferring over to a 300 gal.
The problem is I have to drill the 90 gal and attatch it to a 75 gal fuge which is allready drilled and ready to go.

I dont want to have to cycle 300 gal's worth of new tank while my live stock sits in buckets. One or two days tops is the max I want to leave them.

My original plan was to move al the live stck to containers with a minimal amount of exisitng tank water. Then have my RO/DI water ready to fill and top it off with the left over water form the 90. THis is just not going to be enough clean cyled water to put my stuff back in.

Some people recommend pulling tank water out every couple of days and saving it for this swap but Im not sure it will be enough and Id need to do it ove the course of such a long period to have enough that I dont think it would preserve the beneficial bacteria Im looking to save.

I plan to add an addition 100lbs or more of established L.R. but this will only serve to bump up the cylce time in the long run.

Any suggestions would be helpful Im sure others have done this before. How did you do it? Keep in mind I run BB and theres nop sand to aid in the cycling process.

Ive been tempted to just gather NSW and start my new tank with it nad what H2o I can scavenge from my existing 90. Thi smay be the final solution if I cant find an easier way.