PDA

View Full Version : Glass drilling

bromion
12/21/2006, 11:27 PM
Does anyone know a local place I can have a glass tank drilled? Preferably not too far from West LA. What does such a service usually cost, as well?

Thanks,
Jason

Bergovoy
12/22/2006, 01:27 AM
I called a local glass company over here in Sierra Madre. they ahd no problems in doing it as long as the glass was not tempered.

$20-30 per hole.

Good luck, call around.

Bill

Griff 63
12/23/2006, 06:35 AM
If theres no indication tag or righting to tell you if its tempered or not, Is there some other way to find out? I have a 40gal corner pentagon and want to get it drilled! called glass co and they said 20.00 per hole but if it was tempered I was SOL!! Thanks!

Bergovoy
12/23/2006, 12:43 PM
Take the tank to them to have them look at it. (my tank was to big to haul around).

There is several ways to tell.

There is a 'device' (a piece of ppoloraized plastic_, that the glass guy has and he can lay it on the glass tosee if hte glass is tempered. I think when it is laid on the glass, the color changes to a different color.

You can wear a pair of polorized sunglases, and if you look at the tank, and it looks like ithas little bubles and imperfections on the surface, it is tempered. you can look at windshields on your car to see what a tempered glass imperfections look like.

OR, (not my favofite), you can take a glass cutter and make a small scratch on the glass in an inconspicous place. If the glass cutter actually does score the glass, the glass is NOT tempered.

Good luck.

Bill