PDA

View Full Version : Vicious Pistol Shrimp

CapitalO
12/21/2006, 08:51 PM
My pistol shrimp (Alpheus armatus) can be really aggresive at times -up till this point this was solely aimed toward my emerald crab when he got too close to the shrimps caves. He can really produce a LOUD pop when snaps, the loudest snaps are comparable to a cap gun and you can feel the shock wave on the outside glass of the aquarium. Ive seen him temporarily paralyze my crab, which is easily twice the size of the shrimp.

Anyway, I recently introduced a baby trochus snail from my fuge. Within an hour of the snail being introduced my pistol shrimp assaulted it, delivering several very intense snaps before hauling it away into its burrow. He never bothers the fish, even when they get up close, although hes extremely hostile towards other inverts. Did I get the bad egg or are all pistol shrimp like this?? Heres a pick (not mine; same species though)

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l88/capitalo/136111.jpg

DrBegalke
12/21/2006, 08:59 PM
Pistol shrimp will aggressively defend their territory against other shrimps, crabs, even fish (not their watchman).

If possibly, pair it with a watchman which should help keep other inverts/etc. out of the pistol shrimps way.

CapitalO
12/21/2006, 09:02 PM
Yes, I would really like to pair him up! I see the yasha goby in your avatar, Ive been holding out for one of these guys to show up in my LFS. After some research, Ive read that this species of shrimp (Alpheus armatus) has a symbiotic relation with an anemone.. im not sure if he will even pair with a goby. Does anyone else have this species??

Agu
12/21/2006, 09:07 PM
I have a tiger pistol shrimp/yellow watchman goby and he's not aggressive. However if he doesn't have enough building materials nothing he can move is safe.

CapitalO
12/21/2006, 09:13 PM
I learned that the hard way with a nice acan frag. He definitly didnt take the snail for building material though, I watched him in the act... :eek1:

nmprisons
12/21/2006, 10:11 PM
liveaquaria have a yashia goby pair for sale right now, fyi

iamwhatiam52
12/21/2006, 10:34 PM
Alpheus armatus lives with Bartholomea annulata, sometimes called curlycue anemone.
The anemone is VERY easy to keep, and they do not move around. I've had the anemone for a year and a half, and just added a pair of shrimp two months ago.

Maybe that will keep your shrimp in one place so it does not scramble around the tank looking for trouble.