Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/20/2006, 10:35 PM
Registered Member

Old 04/20/2006, 10:38 PM
Proud reefaholic

I guess ther´re not the pink dots are they?
I suppose the are the "coffee grain" shape shadows?
Old 04/20/2006, 10:39 PM
Proud reefaholic

And how can you see them with a bare eye?
And most important: how do you get rid of them?
Old 04/20/2006, 11:27 PM
Registered Member

pink/red dots.......those are red bugs....

Old 04/20/2006, 11:28 PM
Registered Member

Here is the AEFW intial damage

Look at the bite like marks on the left
Old 04/20/2006, 11:31 PM
Registered Member

clk,
thankx for great pic...
i tell ya......red bug, aefw,nudies....what next(((
Old 04/20/2006, 11:45 PM
Registered Member

Remember you said it

Here is another pest that eats corals like zoanthids and yes sps.

luckily the TMPCC kills them also
Old 04/21/2006, 12:15 AM
Registered Member

Anyone try the Halichoeres chrysus with these AEFW's? Apparently, these wrasses are exceptional at eating the normal red planaria and pyramid snails, maybe they could help out here as well.

MrPike
Old 04/21/2006, 12:56 AM
Premium Member

Some more AEFW pics. IME, there are 2 different FW's that prey on acropora. One type is small and brown and the other is large and clear. The small brown type is not easy to see on the coral but a lot easier to see than the large clear type. The large clear type blends in to the coral very well and is next to impossible to see on the coral even when you know it is there.

Here is pic of a coral that was infested really bad with the little brown AEFW's. Notice the huge clutch of eggs consisting of well over 1,000 eggs. This coral had around 30-40 AEFW's on it. You can see a few of them. The easiest one to see is on the top right branch.

Here is a picture of a bunch of the larger AEFW's in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket. These FW's are more "oval" shaped than the common red planaria that people usually see in their tanks.

Here is a pic of one of the larger clear AEFW's on a frag. This pic shows how hard it can be to see them. The FW is in the middle are of the frag right where the 3 branches come together.

This particular frag was already bleached from the dip I did on it making it much easier to see the FW. On a healthy coral these things are extremely hard to see.

Another:

clkwrk posted a picture that shows an excellent representation of what type of damage these FW's cause. They seem to make "bite marks" on the coral making the coral look "blotchy". IME, the two different types of FW's cause different types of damage to the coral. The smaller brown ones cause the "blotchy" "bite marks". The larger clear ones cause what looks like "STN".

Here is a pic of the colony from the frag I posted above that was housing some of the large clear AEFW's. This was after I fragged it up. Notice the white superglue gel I had applied a few weeks earlier. I originally thought the coral was STN'ing and applied the glue to try to stop the STN. It turned out to be FW's. I think this is probably the case with a lot of acros that we think are STN'ing. This is the type of damage that the large clear AEFW's cause.
Old 04/21/2006, 07:06 AM
Premium Member

Marco,

There's not been any direct link to the interceptor treatment/AEFW emergence, but there is coincidental evidence. We don't fully understand the pest, yet. I had the clear AEFW's... Nice shots everyone.
Old 04/21/2006, 07:16 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MrPike
Anyone try the Halichoeres chrysus with these AEFW's? Apparently, these wrasses are exceptional at eating the normal red planaria and pyramid snails, maybe they could help out here as well.

MrPike
I think MrPike is referring to this wrasse.
http://www.peteducation.com/article....articleid=1929
Old 04/21/2006, 09:49 AM
Registered Member

steve,
i have the same wrasse in my tank....no luck((

mike
Old 04/21/2006, 10:08 AM
Registered Member

I have an acro that has an acro crab and it still has AEFW, therefore I tend to believe that the crab either doesn't realize there is a pest on the acro or they aren't natural enemies.

I did do 2 RB treatments, and I removed the acro crab before each treatment in hopes of keeping him alive.

So far, I've noticed my Christmas Wrasse picking at the rocks and glass, but nothing on the corals yet. Then again, I've only had him since Sat.

Chris
Old 04/21/2006, 10:11 AM
Registered Member

Here's a couple in tank pictures of the damage that they can do.

Notice the left side of this acro:

If you are looking for the damage, it looks bite marks like everyone else has stated.
Old 04/21/2006, 02:42 PM
Premium Member

I've read that a few people have had luck with Hawaiian Christmas wrasses and AEFW.
Old 04/21/2006, 06:08 PM
Proud reefaholic

Wow this thread is very educational!!
OMG, I hope I don´t have those things!
Thanks everyone for the pictures.
Do you guys know if mandarin (psycheledic) or a sixline wrasse will eat them? because I have both so I hope if they find them, they hopefully eat them.
How does everyone gets rid of them? any medication?
TIA
Old 04/21/2006, 08:13 PM
Premium Member

We need to get Habib involve in this , he is the one that came up with the Flatworm exit he may be able to help out exterminating AEFW from our reef tanks.
Habib only have to change the label to AEFW exit.
Old 04/21/2006, 09:01 PM
Registered Member

It hasn't proven to work .
Old 04/21/2006, 09:08 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by clkwrk
It hasn't proven to work .
No
Old 04/21/2006, 09:18 PM
Registered Member

no .Many have reported that they still have AEFW's even after mutiple overdosing..............Did you get rid of acro eating flatworms by using flatworm exit?

If so share your sucess story.
Old 04/21/2006, 09:25 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by clkwrk
no .Many have reported that they still have AEFW's even after mutiple overdosing..............Did you get rid of acro eating flatworms by using flatworm exit?

If so share your sucess story.
I was referring that as a chemist Habib may come up with something NEW that will kill the AEFW just like the "flatworm exit" for the regular FW.
I never had any FW or AEFW in my tank. Sorry if you misunderstood me.
Old 04/21/2006, 09:56 PM
Registered Member

NP
Old 04/21/2006, 10:31 PM
Proud reefaholic

I used to have some red fw´s, they were starting to become a plague but before that happened I used some FW exit, 99% of the fw´s were gone, so then I introduced a sixline wrasse and a mandarin.
I haven´t seen any in months... so in case I had aefw´s I hope that if the fw exit didn´t killed them, my 2 fishes did.
BTW, I have one question, how come after treating with interceptor those aefw´s become a pest? weren´t they already present in the tank?
Anyway, I´m going to treat with interceptor as soon as it gets delivered and I´ll keep you posted.
Marco
Old 04/21/2006, 11:25 PM
SPS Slave

Great thread. Thanks for you all posting your experiences and knowledge. I think it is only a matter of time before we home in on this new wave of pests and find a sensible way to control them. I'm using the Levamisole dips - but ouch it is a painful, laborious, and slow process.

I actually do think there is a tie to the interceptor treatments and outbreaks of AEFW. After pondering it over for a while, I belive it is either:
(a) corals are weakened and thus more susceptible to AEFW attack (whether due to interceptor or RB I'm unsure),
(b) interceptor nukes some sort of natural predator of the AEFW, giving them the chance to gain a foothold, or
(c) interceptor creates some other kind of imbalance in the system (perhaps chemical?) that allows the AEFW to gain a foothold, and/or weaken the corals, making them more susceptible
Old 04/22/2006, 11:05 AM
Registered Member

guys, unfortunately fw exit doesnt work((
afte my last treatment with pro-cure on thursday i plased 2 adults fw's on very strong fwe solution and left it for about 3 hours. when i got back they were still alive(
so far i know ,that only pro-cure work well

i placed an order with arrow crabs,see if this will work..

mike