Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/07/2005, 09:44 AM
New Jersey Reefers Club

Goniopora Worm

Hi Dr. Ron,

I was wondering if you could possibly ID this worm that has been living on my Red Goniopora?

I'm not sure if it is a good critter or bad. It doesn't seem to harm the Goni, but it does come out quite frequently and cause the polyps to retract. This is the best picture I could get of it. Hopefully it is ok.

Thanks In Advance.

Is this a hobby or an obsession!?
Old 12/07/2005, 10:32 AM
Registered Member

Hi Brian,

Similar worms have shown up from time to time before on this forum. I have never been able to get a satisfactory identification on them as I can't really see the characters I need to see. I think they may be syllid polychaetes, but only because they look vaguely "syllidish" to me, and I know that syllids are often commensal on larger sessile inverts such as sponges. Perhaps Leslie H will be able to get a better handle on this one than I am able to.

In any case, it is likely to be relatively harmless, as generally symbiotic organisms don't harm their hosts.
Old 12/07/2005, 12:15 PM
New Jersey Reefers Club

Thank you!

I will try and take a better picture of it, but my camera isn't really the greatest. Hopefully someone else can chime in and give me some more ideas.

Should I worry about the fact that when it comes out all the polyps retract? Do you think this will stress the goni out eventually? I have tried to remove the worm once but it proved to be quite a challenge.

Old 12/07/2005, 02:40 PM
Registered Member

Brian,

I really wouldn't worry overly about it. Unless you can see actual predation on the coral, I would doubt that it is doing any significant harm.
Old 12/07/2005, 08:23 PM
Invert Addict

If this is the same species as in a previous posting then it is a syllid polychaete. The pictures haven't been good enough for me to know what subfamily of syllid, let alone genus, or feeding behavior, sorry.
Old 12/07/2005, 11:40 PM
New Jersey Reefers Club

Thanks Leslie, sorry I couldnt get a better picture of it. I will try again, but I think I have reached the limitations of my digital camera.

Old 12/08/2005, 05:52 AM
Registered Member

I have the same on my green goni, been there forever and i can see no damage on the coral.