Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Las Vegas Valley Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/15/2004, 01:26 AM
Registered Member

Amy ? about your sun coral

That first pic in your tank pics is a sun coral right? does it open in the day for you? can you feed it during the day?
why I'm asking...
Old 08/15/2004, 01:35 AM
TRC Leader

Woohoo! Another suncoral owner.

It does open up for me during the day. Actually I was quite shocked by just how much it does. When I first got it I would feed it only at night, and it would eat then with a good amount of vigor. Then it would open up during the day. I ran and filled the turkey baster up with some mysis and fed it. Now I believe it will be open as often as it is because I do fed at different times. It's always looking for a good meal.

You know what is perfect about this coral now? I have it trained! When ever I cut the pumps (I turn them all off at feeding time) it will come out a few minutes afterwards. It knows that when the flow stops, it's feeding time. Really an amazing coral.

OK, one more shot!

Old 08/15/2004, 01:54 AM
Registered Member

cool! thanks for the info! we feed at different times and with the pump off too. I will watch for it and try to get mine trained too!
Old 08/15/2004, 03:45 AM
Registered Member

Fed it for the first time and I think it likes it! I dont need to feed each head do I? I made sure several of the got some shrimp to be sure.
Old 08/15/2004, 04:07 AM
Registered Member

nice lookin' suns! have been thinking about getting some. curious to see how the rest of you are dealing with them. do you find they need shade/partial shade/full light...doesn't matter what combination?

nice!

p.s. amy, those zoos in background rock!
Old 08/15/2004, 04:27 AM
Registered Member

Totally agree on those Zoos! I love Zoos! I think I may have some to bring to a meeting next month, hubby doesnt like all the same Zoas all over.
Old 08/15/2004, 10:34 AM
Registered Member

Lighting doesn't matter with those guys. I would just put it where it is easiest to feed and looks purdy~
Old 08/15/2004, 04:48 PM
TRC Leader

I agree with Chris Dallas. Sun corals derive nothing from our lights. So they can be under just about anything so long as they are easy to feed.

Thanks for the zoanthid praise. I love that frag. "Safecrackers", named for the good chap who first had them. That is his profession.

Old 08/15/2004, 05:28 PM
Registered Member

yep I just put mine down on the sand in a spot it wouldnt be close to anything else and I could reach easily.
Old 08/15/2004, 05:33 PM
TRC Leader

Dusty about feeding each polyp. It's always good to feed as many as you can. It really does insure you are giving them as much strength as possible. They share connective tissue so the nutrition is shared through out the whole colony. Still I am about as anal as it gets when it comes to coral feeding and try my best to for each polyp to be fed.
Old 08/15/2004, 07:23 PM
Registered Member

ok thanks Amy, good to know I'm not the only one who thinks like that
Old 08/17/2004, 01:56 AM
Registered Member

Very nice corals!! Unfortunately its to much work for me.