Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Corallimorpharians
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/20/2003, 08:17 PM

Shrinking ricordea??

I have a rock that has 9 orange ricordeas on it. Over the last month, they have shrunk to half their original size! I have MH lighting, and the rock is on the bottom. The water flow is gentle. One is splitting in half, and a new baby has popped up in the last few days. Why are they shrinking?
Old 07/23/2003, 03:54 AM
Premium Member

What temperature is your water? I installed a chiller a month ago and have noticed the same thing. I just turned up the temp to keep it around 81.5 and after one day all my ricordea are looking like they are making a comeback.
Old 07/23/2003, 04:23 AM

I will warm up the water a bit and see if that helps. I have a chiller, and keep the temp at 77. Thanks Chicken.
Old 07/23/2003, 04:25 AM
Premium Member

Please let me know if it helps. I was keeping mine at 77.5-78.8 and I noticed that all my ricordea (florida and yumas) and mushrooms have been looking like crap. I turned up the chiller last night and this morning is the first time I have seen my yumas open up fully in a few weeks. Maybe it was just a coincidence, maybe not. Good luck.
Old 08/01/2003, 04:29 PM

Chicken, how are things going with your warmer water? My rics are continuing to shrink even though I brought the water up to 81 degrees. Did you do anything else to make them open up? I am getting desperate as they are now 1/10 of their original size. HELP!!!!
Old 08/01/2003, 04:33 PM
Premium Member

Warming the water up seemed to help for a few days, but they went back to their same size. I am in the process of switching back to IO from CS marinemix. I am not sure if all my problems started right around the time I switched salts or not. I figured with all the discusions going on about CS problems that it could not hurt to do a few water changes with IO. So far atleast my normal shrooms are looking completely normal while the ricordeas are looking slightly better. I started the water changes on tuesday and things have been looking better since then. Not sure if that is my problem or not yet Anyone have any ideas?
Old 08/01/2003, 05:02 PM

I can't blame the salt, as I have always used IO. My other shrooms look great, just my rics are slowly shrinking away. Do you know if they will shrink so small that one day I will just have a bare rock left? I have never had anything die in my tank, so I don't know what to expect. Or will they fall off when they die? Some of them are just a green mouth with a tiny orange ring around it.
Old 08/04/2003, 05:50 PM
Premium Member

Same problem

I have had 2 yumas just desolve like that one me lately also. I can see no real reason for it happening. The start shrinking get smaller and smaller...then get so small they seem to slime out and are gone. There are atleast 8 other rics in the tank and having no problems at all.
Old 08/04/2003, 06:29 PM
Premium Member

tooshay, Sorry for not posting sooner. I have been really busy with work and am out of town right now. I will post when I get back tomorrow night.
Old 08/04/2003, 06:38 PM

Good news!!! I completely renovated the rocks in my tank, and made an overhang to provide a shaded spot. I put the ricordea rock completely in the shade and even though it has only been a few hours, they are expanding!!! I guess they were getting too much light. I will keep you guys posted if things continue to get better