Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/01/2003, 04:09 PM
Registered Member

Question Using Gorilla Glue on Acrylic....

Has some one used Gorilla Glue http://www.gorillaglue.com/ to glue together acrylic-acrylic or acrylic-pvc? will it hold together, will it be a good sealant?
Regards...
Old 05/01/2003, 09:40 PM
Premium Member

never heard of it before............there are plenty of glues/solvent that are specifically designed for these tasks and are inexpensive to boot...........I would go that route........especially if holding water.
Old 05/02/2003, 02:36 PM
Registered Member

Talking

NAGA,
I've used almost every IPS glue...Weld On 3,4,16,40... But I try to do some research before I try it my self...

This is what I got from Gorilla Glue, after asking the same question...

Hi Hector,

Comments: Will Gorilla glue bond acrylic to acrylic, and acrylic to PVC?

As long as you follow the directions, it will work with acrylic to acrylic, but you need to rough up the glueing area. Also, it doesn't dry clear. Gorilla Glue will also bond acrylic and flat PVC, but it is not recommended for plumbing/pipe PVC.

Gorilla Glue will expand 2-3 times its applied area so a little goes a long way. Please dampen the area first. The glue will then foam and this action will force the items to separate, so clamping or applying heavy pressure is necessary. Also, please clean up the excess as if it is allowed to harden, the only way to remove it is to sand it down or scrape it off. Although Gorilla Glue is not toxic, it will stain your hands so you might want to wear gloves. If it dries, there are no solvents and will take 5-7 days to wear off.

Gorilla Glue works best when the temperature is 60 degrees and above. It will not work under 40 degrees. It does not dry clear. If you have any more questions, feel free to write me again or you may call our toll free number: 1-800-966-3458.

Thank you,
Judy
Customer Service
Gorilla Glue (R)
The Toughest Glue on Planet Earth
www.gorillaglue.com
Old 05/02/2003, 02:40 PM
Registered Member

Gorilla glue is a well known carpenters glue...I constantly hear good things about it...I have used it my self for wood, but never tried in plastics...you have to take care with this glue...because If you mess up your hands, you will not take it out with nothing, you'll have to wait 3 or 4 days until it goes away from your hands...pretty messy but very good glue...also it turns black, so your hands will look just like a gorilla hands...I think this is why the name
Old 05/02/2003, 03:05 PM
Registered Member

Thumbs up Gorilla Glue will work on acrylic

It will bond acrylic to pvc and acrylic to acrylic. I have used it before, but not for an aquarium.
Old 05/02/2003, 04:27 PM
Registered Member

waring,
I want to use it for sealing joints...I know gorilla glue is 100% water proof, but I have the doubt if is impermeable, I mean if It could be use as a sealer, a substitute to silicone, knowing that silicone does not work on acrlic...
Old 05/02/2003, 05:20 PM
Registered Member

Question ???

I don't know if it's impermeable. I would take some scrap acrylic and glue a T shape, then but some water in the trough and see what happens.

If you do that, let me know what you find out.
Old 05/02/2003, 05:31 PM
Registered Member

you cant put silicone on acrylic??? Hmm, I didnt know that. I made a box for my tank yesterday, outta acrylic, I used weldon 16 to glue it all together, but it was my first acrylic project, and not all the seams were "perfect". So I ran a beed of silicon around all the joints on the inside, to seal it up. Will this be ok??

DVS

Last edited by DvSkIn; 05/02/2003 at 05:39 PM.
Old 05/02/2003, 06:56 PM
Registered Member

DvSkIn,
This is why I'm trying to look for a god sealeant for acrylic, without running weld on 16 or 40 to all seems...
16 will be just to thin for a good chamber , and 40 is a great mess...
silicone will not fix very well to acrylic, thats what I've read.

I just build a large sump with acrylic and weld on 16, same thing...but I didn't want to use silicone...for a seal insurance...
Old 05/02/2003, 07:24 PM
Registered Member

hmm, so are you saying that I shouldnt use this boz I made. Its basically gonna be an over flow box, for my above tank fuge and coral propagation tank to drain into, and then it will overflow into the tank. Now I dont want this puppy leaking, cuz thats about 70 or so gallons of water, slowly leaking over my bed room floor, right above my living room!! LoL, and working 12 hour days, it doesnt really matter if its a slow, or fast leak, ya know!?!?!? What shuld I do??

DVS
Old 05/02/2003, 08:44 PM
Registered Member

well...I would not use silicone in acrylic...but that me...
In my sump I just run some weldon 40 in one seem, and then got it even with my finger tip all the way...all thought It is messy i got a pretty nice chamber...on the joint. I will do that on a small project, but doing this in a large one or a exibition tank..no way..will be probably a mess.