Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/25/2007, 05:55 PM
Registered Member

Aquapod 12

So I just picked up a stock Aquapod with the PC lighting. I see most people replace the return pump with a maxi-900.

What else will I need for this? I assume a heater. Probably 50 watt? I would like to keep some LPS maybe. What should I do to upgrade flow?

I got the sand and salt all taken care of. What am I forgetting?
Old 10/25/2007, 06:42 PM
Registered Member

i would put a mini-jet 606 in the back. and a koralia nano, or a tunze 6045 in the main tank. the reason for the 606 is that it provides good flow throught the filter and it fits much better. and the tunze or koralia for the flow in the tank. that would be enough for most corals. plus IMO the mini-jet is quieter than the 900.
Old 10/25/2007, 06:43 PM
Registered Member

also don't for get Live Rock. another thing i would do is replace the carbon, ceramic rings, and sponge. and replace them with LR rubble, and filter floss.
Old 10/25/2007, 10:58 PM
Registered Member

Sucks for you, marinedepot, 12 gal AP with 70 watt HQI, $150!!!!!!!!

Maybe you could take yours back?

-Samuel Clemens
Old 10/25/2007, 11:00 PM
Premium Member

Petstore.com has it for $150 too. That's where I just got mine from. Literally just put water in it 2 hours ago.
Old 10/25/2007, 11:18 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AzaZeL
Petstore.com has it for $150 too. That's where I just got mine from. Literally just put water in it 2 hours ago.
!!! Time to break out a credit card...
Old 10/26/2007, 06:53 AM
Registered Member

Does the Aquapod with HQI have a top to reduce evaporation? hard to tell from the pics
Old 10/26/2007, 08:26 AM
Premium Member

Yes, it has the HQI light that sits on the legs or hangs from the ceiling and has a glass top to reduce evaporation.
Old 10/26/2007, 09:31 AM
Registered Member

Well I knew about that before I bought the one I did. This is going to be just a mini project for the office so I wanted to keep it as low cost as possible. When I am ready I will upgrade to what I want. But your right 190 shipped is a good price.

I do have the LR all ready to go... Anything anyone else can thing of?

I wonder if there would be a heat difference between the PC and HQI. Would the tank run cooler with one versus the other?
Old 10/26/2007, 09:58 AM
Registered Member

Well I actually switched to the HQI. How long will it take to show up? I ordered it through Marine Depot.
Old 10/26/2007, 03:46 PM
Premium Member

Excellent choice. You'll be glad you changed and I'm glad that you were able to catch it before they sent it out. I ordered mine from petstore.com but my friend orders from marinedepot all the time and he says they are very good about shipping. If it is UPS, the max they will take is 5 business days.
Old 10/26/2007, 08:01 PM
Premium Member

I ordered mine on Tuesday from Petstore.com and it shipped today and will arrive on Thursday 11/1. also I may be wrong but some how petstore.com and marinedepot are one and the same. If you call them they ask if you which one you ordered from. I was also told that this product has been discontinued and that when stock is gone there will be no more. At these prices, they will not last long.
Old 10/27/2007, 09:41 PM
Premium Member

Yeah, I noticed that too. Thier ordering system is exactly the same for online orders.