Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Chico Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/22/2007, 11:14 PM
Premium Member

some shots of my 65g

Here is a shot of my two week old 65g I will post more pictures of the equipment and live stock in this thread when I get a chance...

Purple Wrasse
Old 08/23/2007, 12:17 AM
Registered Member

bobbert are you from Chico or the surrounding area? If so, welcome to the Chico Reef Club. I hope you come here often and get your questions answered if you have any questions. We are all here to learn and to have fun learning.

Be sure to show more pics and let us know more about your tank.
Old 08/23/2007, 12:39 AM
Registered Member

To Reef Central

Nice shots. Like the wrasse shot and it is always nice to see a FTS (Full Tank Shot).

You've only been setup for two weeks and have those fish & that much livestock already in there? Or did you get this setup from someone who had it already established?

Yes as Mike requested, do you live in or near Chico? How much hobby experience do you have. Glad to see you're supporting RC but you didn't really give any other info.
Old 08/23/2007, 12:57 AM
Premium Member

I am in the chico area, I work at reef connections...I just upraded from a 1.5 year old 30g, picked up another 25lbs of live rock and its been going well, with the exception of some hair algae. I have more of my pictures posted on the reefconnections website including some from my mantis tank. Ill post them here when I get a chance. Here was a not very current picture of my 30g high.

Old 08/23/2007, 01:10 AM
Registered Member

Is that xenia on the back wall actually trying to grow outside the water line or is it just a bit low from evap?

I was growing that light green candy cane (lower left in your photo) for a while and fragged a bunch out to a friend. I lost mine.... I gave him a call and he recently had a tank crash and lost nearly everything I had ever given him. Bummer. Let me know if you have any success with that and want to sell/trade a frag.
Old 08/23/2007, 01:15 AM
Registered Member

Are you running any phosphate removal for the hair algae? Check out other threads here. I think I recall someone wanting to get rid of a yellow tang that once eradicated a pretty good supply of hair algae was suspect of nipping at invertibrates. (Sorry too tired and lazy to check right now. )

I battled hair algae for nearly two years and it wasn't until I moved and replaced nearly all the sand and scrubbed the tank clean that it nearly disappeared overnight. If I would have known a yellow tang might have helped instead of my pretty but useless as a tang, Scopas, I would have swapped a long time ago.

What are you using for lights on the new 65?
Old 08/23/2007, 01:30 AM
Registered Member

Lets see more pics bobbert! Definitely looks good. A yellow tang would suck up that hair algae :-)
Old 08/23/2007, 10:36 AM
Registered Member

I had the hair algae problem and I got my husband a sea hare. We moved rocks back and forth between tanks and the hare ate all the algae.

My yellow tang I got from Reef Connections is the one I did want to get rid of but I decided to keep her. She is keeping the hair algae problem down.

She seemed to have some issues with my feather dusters and decapitated one of them.

It is still alive and will get better with time.

Sweet Wicked B*tch
Old 08/23/2007, 12:29 PM
Premium Member

Im not quite to the point where I am going to run phosphate remover, I have not had to in the past, and I just added 10 snails and they seem to be taking pretty good care of it. Once its cycled I dont think i will have any problems and after the cost of setting this thing up I am trying to cut costs for a little while. The candy cane seems to be growing well I should be able to frag some in a few months I would think.

The light I am using is the Sunpod 2x150w metal halide my old tank had 4x24" vhos. I like the halides so far and the this tanks temperature is more stable then my old one even with the halides. I assume because of the size of it. I will post some more pictures after I get back from work today or tomorrow.
Old 08/23/2007, 12:59 PM
Registered Member

Yes, increasing the volume can drastically help moderate everything including temerature. The only thing it may not moderate is your salt costs for water changes.

I went to a MARS meeting where a couple was planning to open a public aquarium in Fresno, I think. My biggest question was how they planned to keep it cool with the 20-30F temperature differential during the long summers. They planned on having nearly 1 million gallons and a huge buffer sump in the basement to keep the temp average.

If you notice the temps increasing you could always add a fan to your lights. This will help not only to cool your tank via evaporative cooling but if you reduce the temperature the lights run at you'll increase their longevity. I could help you with this addition if you like.

What temp are those bulbs and are the Sunpod bulbs as well? Forgive me as I don't have Halides so I'm not as familiar with the vast world of bulbs/fixtures out there.
Old 08/23/2007, 06:23 PM
Registered Member

Sunpods come with the Current USA brand 14k bulbs. Thats what my sunpod came with.

I should be getting my Phoenix 14k bulbs.......those should blow the stock bulbs out of the water!!!
Old 08/23/2007, 11:35 PM
Registered Member

Mike please be sure to take photos of the current blubs (before) and the Phoenix (after) even if it is only with your cellphone. I could always bring my camera over too.
Old 08/24/2007, 09:39 AM
Registered Member

I'll be sure to flood the forums with pics!