Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/07/2002, 08:08 PM
11sec 4x4 truck???

Picked up a new Frogspawn, is it rare?

I bought a new FrogSpawn (I'm kind of a junkie now) and I wam wondering how many people have this color morph. If you do can you post pics? I'd really like to see em.

I have not seen many and I hope it will eventually open all the way (I always have more trouble with non-branching types).

Sorry it is kinda blurry, I don't have a macro lens and he is kinda far back in the tank. When he was more expanded in the store he was very translucent with that Mountain Dew color going on. Pretty neat.

Here is my "older" Frogspawn for a color comparison.

AGA 210ga: OceansMotions, Sequence Dart, barebottom, 4x250w MHs, H&S skimmer etc
Old 08/07/2002, 08:44 PM
25 and over club
and still stupid!

Nice pics! They look like pictures out of an electron microscope or a chemistry text book.
Old 08/07/2002, 08:49 PM

I don't now if it's 'Rare' or not, but I've seen the neon green frogspawns go for up to 90 dollar Retail.

Here is a pic of the one I had in my old reef tank...

http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbull...&postid=589839
Old 08/07/2002, 08:55 PM
11sec 4x4 truck???

Quote:
They look like pictures out of an electron microscope or a chemistry text book.
That bottom one esspecially! Looks like some kind of branch chain ammino or something. LOL

Project Reef,

I guess I should'nt say Rare but more of a "when you find one for sale buy it cuz you're lucky?" type of thing? LOL

Yours looked pretty decent sized. Was it yellow? My buddy has a really nice yellow one too, maybe they are not as rare as I though.

Did you get rid of it or did it die?

AGA 210ga: OceansMotions, Sequence Dart, barebottom, 4x250w MHs, H&S skimmer etc
Old 08/07/2002, 09:00 PM
1 & Over Club

Are these taken w/ your MH by itself, or w/ VHO by itself?

I've seen Frogspawn color up like this under VHO, then throw on the MH, and it just look plain jain.
Old 08/07/2002, 09:03 PM
RC Mod

Nice pics. That's the kind that we had before we took down our reef. It was also the kind that our LFS got in most frequently (about half of those from our frags).

Dave
Old 08/07/2002, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by F8LPONY

Yours looked pretty decent sized. Was it yellow? My buddy has a really nice yellow one too, maybe they are not as rare as I though.

Did you get rid of it or did it die?
No it was bright neon see-through green.
It's still alive and well at my friend David's house.

I had to get rid of it only because there is WAY too much flow in my new tank, it would not 'extend' and inflate itself all the way.
Old 08/07/2002, 09:06 PM
11sec 4x4 truck???

All I have for light is a single (horizontal) 250w 14k MH.

I had him almost directly under it for the first 2mo and I recently moved him off to the side a bit so I hope he doesn't lose his color. If he starts to I'm moving him back.

The Mountain Dew colored one is brand new and has only been in the tank for maybe 2 weeks. He still has the same color but won't open all the way yet. It also took my Hammer about 3 weeks to fully open.

I hope the new one doesn't lose it's color.

Old 08/07/2002, 09:36 PM
Premium Member

Yes i have problems to, my non branching type die in one year this one is branching type and is two year old is been frag every 6 months and given away, your is gorgeous.
Old 08/07/2002, 09:47 PM
11sec 4x4 truck???

Man that looks like a big one!

I wonder what the difference is between the branching and non-branching types, as to why they respond differently to change.

Here is the purple tipped one with the flash on the camera.

Bad pic but you can see that it is just green as snot!

Old 08/07/2002, 10:00 PM
Premium Member

I think is 16'' long i have to frag it or it will take over my 200g tank.
Old 08/07/2002, 10:04 PM
11sec 4x4 truck???

Woo Hoo!

16"?

Man, I hope mine keeps growing and tries to do that.

Old 08/07/2002, 10:10 PM
Premium Member

F8LPONY,
IS yours branching type?
It is VERY nice.
Old 08/07/2002, 10:14 PM
Premium Member

MY is green and red if you look close you can see the red is under 250w MH iwasaki.
Old 08/07/2002, 10:19 PM
11sec 4x4 truck???

Yes it is.

It has about 10 or so heads/split heads on it right now.

I am hoping it will continue to grow quickly so I can start frag'n it because I don't see a lot that look as good as this one so I want to help some people out.

I think my lighting is making a big difference though. It was not this green when I first changed the bulb, it just slowly got greener and greener.

Question: Is it called a head when it only has one base or is the "head" considered the full polyp with one mouth? So in the case of what I call a split head where it has one "base" but 2 main polyps each with it's own mouth and tapered end, is this one head or 2?

I didn't notice at first but it does seem like yours is bi-colored. I have one that has half it's tips green and the other half white but I never saw red before. That is neat..

Old 08/07/2002, 10:29 PM
Registered Member.

i also have this type of translucent frogspawn, i kept it for the display in my store. i have only seen a few of these that are trully transparent except for the tips. i'll try to find a close up pisture and post. leroy
Old 08/07/2002, 11:17 PM
Aspiring Polymath

F8LPONY,
The two pictures you posted are essentially the same animal. The top picture is what a frogspawn looks like when it is starting to bleach. Right now, I have one that looks translucent green like that because I added 440 more watts of lighting and managed to bleach out a few of my corals. Before, the frogspawn looked like your bottom picture.
Old 08/08/2002, 12:10 AM
B'rer Reefer

Here's kind of an interesting color morph for you. This is an E. divisa (the non branching type) and it's the exact same color it was when I purchased it, over three years ago. I say this because not long after I got it, I can remember being told it was bleached and would soon die. Actually, about half of it DID die off but the half that remains seems as healthy as anything else in the tank. I've never seen quite this shade of yellow-green offered for sale since.
Old 08/08/2002, 02:03 AM
Registered Member

Regarding the original question, I wouldn't say it's rare. But it is very cool.

dendronepthya was right about the bleaching. The translucence will change most likely. It is bleached due to lighting change.

I saw my first bleached Frogspawn the other day. It was absolutely beautiful. the coloration was awesome. It had white tips, very light translucent arms, and the base of the branches were orange. The combination was great. It was in the display tank. I asked the owner if I could order one with the coloration, and he said it was actually bleached. He said their chiller went out on them and they upgraded the lights. He said that soon it will return to it's colored state. It was actually a brown one naturally, or so he says. There were others of the same type that were not bleached.

Keep us informed on any changes.
Old 08/08/2002, 03:57 AM
ectoreef

Quote:
Originally posted by brvheart
dendronepthya was right about the bleaching. The translucence will change most likely. It is bleached due to lighting change.
Sorry, not true. I've had mine for a little over a year and it is just as translucent as the day I bought it.
Old 08/08/2002, 04:54 AM

It's not bleaching...true - some frogspawns might be showing signs of bleaching in certain situations.

But - there are some morphs of frogs that are "see-through" and neonish. That's just the way they are.
Old 08/08/2002, 06:33 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Project Reef
I don't now if it's 'Rare' or not, but I've seen the neon green frogspawns go for up to 90 dollar Retail.
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......... maybe I should sell mine! j/k. I got this guy pretty cheap and it's been looking great for a couple months now.

Other cool frogspawn I got, this pic is under VHO actinics:

Now with the halides on:

Both are non-branching types. The green one is about 5" across expanded and the purple tipped one about 7" across. Can't wait for them to get bigger so they overtake my tank and I'll have to upgrade!
Euroreef CS8-1
Iwaki 40RLT to 2x3/4" Seaswirls with eductors
Old 08/08/2002, 08:01 AM
Premium Member

I have a green frogspawn with the pink tips, also neon colored like yours. It was getting too large, It had 7 heads so I broke the base in half and I now have 2 of them with about 10 heads each. They are about 8-10 inches in diameter. They continue to grow new branches off of the base but are not mature enough to further propogate.
Old 08/08/2002, 08:29 AM
25 and over club
and still stupid!

I'm jealous of all of you. But SOMEDAY I'll have a frogspawn worth showing.
Thanks for the inspiration.
Old 08/08/2002, 08:42 AM
Premium Member

Sorry, but I have to agree that picture number one is bleached. Keep it under bright lighting and it may stay that way, but that doesn't change the facts.

Take a look at this. Same coral moved from close to MH's, to VHO's:

Note too that growth occurred only after the zoozanthellate returned to more typical numbers, then it started growing like mad.

If you want to know - ask. But I won't promise you'll like the answer.