Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

Old 01/07/2008, 11:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jman77
Depends ... you pay 350 for something and still have to tinker with it to perform well.... is that a bargain ? [/B]
Well if it performs like a 700 skimmer, then yes...
I was unaware the xtreme 200 requires tinkering, unless you were referring to something else. I know this thread is about the 160, but you said $350 so I assumed you meant the 200. I seen one in action, and based my opinion on that along with the great results I got from my $200 octo nw-150.
Old 01/07/2008, 11:53 PM
Registered Member

Can anybody tell me what size tubing to get so I can pick some up beforehand. Thanks
Old 01/08/2008, 01:02 AM
DIY Junkie

It's 1/4" ID tubing.
Old 01/08/2008, 01:03 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LA-Lawman
do you have pics of the impellar tied with the spiderwire
I didn't take any pics of the spiderwire tied impeller. It really doesn't look any different, but the next time I have the pump apart I'll snap a pic for ya.
Old 01/08/2008, 07:15 PM
Registered Member

update?

would really like to see some pics of the 160 in action now that its a few days broken in..
Old 01/08/2008, 09:17 PM
15 & Over Club

Just received mine, I'll try to get pics up soon.
2001 black T/A WS6~M6 ASC#6979
331rwhp/348rwtq
Mods: !CAGS, Pro 5.0, TSP lid, BGRA, Raptor shift light, Strange 4.10 gears, GMMG exhaust
Old 01/09/2008, 08:08 AM
Premium Member

Since a few folks have asked for updates I think I should share my testing plan. I will not be making any quick judgments on this piece of equipment. It's unfair to make comparisons between skimmers until after a reasonable break in period followed by a minimum of 2 weeks real world tank skimming IMO. I already made the mistake of posting "initial" air numbers and all that did was cause confusion when the performance greatly improved the next day.

So...here's my timeline
[list=1][*]Skimmer will be running for a total of 10 days in the break in tub. Complete on Jan 14th[*]Skimmer will be installed on my tank and allowed to run for 2 weeks Complete on Jan 28th[*]I will post my comparison between the ATI BM 160 and the SWC/MSX 160. I plan to take comparison pics and measurements of the two units and post my thoughts by Jan 30th[/list=1]

I honestly feel this time line is a bit rushed to get my full opinion, and I'll probably provide additional data at the 3 month mark.

In the meantime anyone interested in posting their opinions, pics, or questions feel free.
Old 01/09/2008, 08:42 AM
Premium Member

I have the MSX 200 and it did come with a drain plug for the collection cup. I was a piece of fairly ridged tubing that is sealed on one side.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lagger
Nice. Thanks for posting Joker I have a few Q's....can you please verify:

1) This is a genuine Sicce pump. Looks like the mesh & possibly venturi modded by M.S.?

2) Collection cup drilled for external waste collector. Is there a plug included for someone who doesn't use it?

Thanks
Old 01/09/2008, 08:43 AM
One Good Friend

I'd agree with you joker on time. Really a good breaking in takes around 2mths imo. But none the less with more users on board we'll get to our conclusion sooner anyhow.
Old 01/09/2008, 10:32 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bkelley02
I have the MSX 200 and it did come with a drain plug for the collection cup. I was a piece of fairly ridged tubing that is sealed on one side.
Nice. Thanks for the heads-up Anybody else selling these besides M.S.?
Old 01/09/2008, 11:36 AM
Registered Member

I'd honestly have to thank joker for being an honest buyer and really giving this skimmer a good try... Like I said before, thanks for being our guinea pig!
Old 01/09/2008, 12:14 PM
Registered Member

I agree, I am tagging along with much interest. Thanks
Old 01/09/2008, 12:41 PM
One Good Friend

Quote:
Originally posted by Lagger
Nice. Thanks for the heads-up Anybody else selling these besides M.S.?
Nope.......which means they will be sold out in a week or so : (
Old 01/09/2008, 02:26 PM
15 & Over Club

So far, I'm very happy with the build quality of my 160 skimmer. I won't be hooking it up until this Saturday though. Could have included better instructions though.
2001 black T/A WS6~M6 ASC#6979
331rwhp/348rwtq
Mods: !CAGS, Pro 5.0, TSP lid, BGRA, Raptor shift light, Strange 4.10 gears, GMMG exhaust
Old 01/09/2008, 02:43 PM
Premium Member

no kidding on the instructions thing. they suck. i'm pretty dumb, and i have been reading this thread and the "has anyone recieved their skimmer thread", looking for clues to put it together right. i ordered the mesh mod kit that luke posted on the other thread. so be expecting some questions from me when that gets here

mine's still in the box(MSX 160), i don't even have salt in the tank yet. but from looking at it, it seems to me to be a good build, much better than the euro reef i had for my old 55g.

2 questions though, for the small black tapered peice(i think it's the venturi? i'm skimmer dumb), which end goes in the pump? tapered or straight. sorry luke, i guessed by your saying the small end, you meant the staight, but i'm not sure. if it's the tapered end, do i want the taper up or down?

the other question is i think i want to put a gate valve mod on it. do i have to do this? my reasoning is it will be easier to adjust. if this is a good idea, where do i put the gate valve? before or after the riser?

anybody live in southern WI that can help an idiot like me with this?
Old 01/09/2008, 02:50 PM
Premium Member

BTW, my only problem with it is had to modify my stand to make it fit into my sump. what a PITA. but it fits now and i can't wait to fire it up!
i ordered the mesh mod kit because it's supposed to have a restrictor that the 160 didn't come with. i may be wrong, i don't know. also because if my mesh is as uneven as jokers', i can redo it. i haven't looked at it yet, it might be ok.

would spyderwire fishing line work better than zip ties to tie the mesh on? if nothing else, i'll have some extra mesh. does the mesh ever need to be replaced?
sorry for all the questions.
Old 01/09/2008, 03:34 PM
One Good Friend

Yes, the mesh needs to be replaced every now and then, I generally check on mine every few mths and replace as needed. I have one pump going on a year without replacement. The small black piece that goes inside the male volute. The smaller diameter end goes in facing the impeller, larger faces the intake opening. As for a gatevalve mod, i'd let it break in a while first. FWIW, you don't have a riser tube when you have a gate valve, tht is your riser tube. Spider braid fishing line will work better for the sicce as its so light and will help in startup.

Just take a breath man and set it up and see what you have. Like joker has said the 160 does 30scfh or 800lph air......identical to the ati bm 160, along with diameter of body, neck as well. But the Bubble plate looks nicer on these.
Old 01/09/2008, 03:57 PM
Premium Member

thanks luke33. i'll hold off on the gatevalve. i actually went down and really looked at the skimmer after i posted above, and i may pass on the gate valve altogether. pretty cool how i can turn the riser to adjust. for some reason i thought it was like my first skimmer (ER), where i had to move it up and down. i got rid of that skimmer pretty fast and went to a Deltec MC500. i really liked my 500.

is there a good trick to get the cover off the impellar? the grey piece(volute cover?) is really tight and i feel like i'm gonna break it if i put much more pressure on it.

do i need the 1/2" restrictor for the inlet?
Old 01/09/2008, 06:00 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cyclops23
thanks luke33. i'll hold off on the gatevalve. i actually went down and really looked at the skimmer after i posted above, and i may pass on the gate valve altogether. pretty cool how i can turn the riser to adjust. for some reason i thought it was like my first skimmer (ER), where i had to move it up and down. i got rid of that skimmer pretty fast and went to a Deltec MC500. i really liked my 500.

is there a good trick to get the cover off the impellar? the grey piece(volute cover?) is really tight and i feel like i'm gonna break it if i put much more pressure on it.

do i need the 1/2" restrictor for the inlet?
I've played with the water level adjustment and I see no reason for a gate valve. The adjustment mechanism included is simple and works well....I like simple.

Getting the cover off the pump is a task best handled by BRUTE FORCE Seriously though it takes a fair amount of strength. Twist the cover counter clockwise until the 3 stops are free from the housing....basically as soon as you can see all of them they are free. Then simply wiggle the pump cover off. The o-ring gasket makes a very tight fit. I don't think you can break it with your hands, but I'd be careful using any tools.

You do need to install the included restrictor. The pump won't function well w/o it.
Old 01/09/2008, 06:04 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
would spyderwire fishing line work better than zip ties to tie the mesh on? if nothing else, i'll have some extra mesh. does the mesh ever need to be replaced?
sorry for all the questions.
Spiderwire works fine, but if you choose to use it make sure you tie it securely and use a good knot. I used a fishing lure knot. I can't be sure that the spiderwire works better than the zipties, but it doesn't cause any harm either.
Old 01/09/2008, 06:12 PM
Premium Member

This morning before I left for work the collection cup on the 160 was about 1/2 full and the foam head was a little lower than the night before. I reasoned that the 10 gallons of water in the tub had been skimmed thoroughly and I needed to add more fuel for the skimmer. I proceeded to empty my skimmer cup from my display tank into the tub and I took off for work.

This is what I came home to -

I guess dumping a ton of skimmate into such a small volume of water caused the skimmer to overflow, subsequently emptying the 1/2 cup of skimmate from the SWC into the tub as well.
The end result is a GIANT RED TUB SKIMMER. I better hurry up and patent it before some other company steals my idea

Lesson learned....you can add too much of a good thing to the break in tub! Now I'm left to do a water change on my skimmer break in tub....good grief.
Old 01/09/2008, 07:15 PM
Registered Member

ok...checked and rechecked my space in the stand......i have 24" of height i can use......will the 160 be a tight fit?.....what is the total height of the skimmer and how much is actually needed to remove the cup?
i am also building a new sump.... i believe 8" of water is good for this skimmer....but then 8" of water for my fuge and return seems low to me......new sump will be about 32"Lx15"Wx12"T...

thanks..
Old 01/09/2008, 07:25 PM
Premium Member

All the way back on page one is the answer to your question. 22" min to get the collection cup off. I think you can safely run this skimmer in 8-10 inches of water, but I'm currently running it in 9 during break in.

Quote:
The footprint is

Height - 21 1/2" - I'd say 22" min to get the collection cup off
Width - 7"
Length- 9" - the base is square @ 7" x 7", but the standpipe take up another inch and a a half or so.
Old 01/09/2008, 07:34 PM
Registered Member

thanks joker....i looked for the post but guess i totally missed it....

so maximum is 10" so ill have to go with that.....(could use it for more water volume)
can someone explain why it wouldnt work over 11" of water.....
Old 01/09/2008, 07:36 PM
Premium Member

Hey 160er's

Trying to put mine together and need a little help.
Where does this go?