Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/13/2007, 11:53 PM
Registered Member

Coral ideas for all actinic lighting

I have a 75 gallon tank that is dedicated to a pair of Marjorie Wrasses. These are expensive and rare and are found in deep water so I have went all actinic to make them fell at home. I am looking for some ideas on corals to add to give the tank some more appeal. Any toughts
Old 11/14/2007, 12:23 AM
Bee Wrangler

What kind of actinics? Normal output? T5s? PC?

In any case you'll be dealing with non-photosynthetic corals with that much (little) lighting. Any of the non-photo corals introduce a whole host of issues that you might not want to deal with if your focus is on the wrasses... constant feeding, heavy filtration/ skimming, specialized care.... Perhaps fake corals? There's some very life-like models. And they'd fluoresce like crazy under all actinics.
Old 11/14/2007, 12:25 AM
IllegitimiNonCarborundum

i'd try some green zoanthids, mushrooms.
Old 11/14/2007, 07:30 AM
compulsive fragomaniac

Quote:
Originally posted by xcreonx

In any case you'll be dealing with non-photosynthetic corals with that much (little) lighting. Any of the non-photo corals introduce a whole host of issues that you might not want to deal with if your focus is on the wrasses... constant feeding, heavy filtration/ skimming, specialized care.... Perhaps fake corals? There's some very life-like models. And they'd fluoresce like crazy under all actinics.

HUH? (heh, nope, I'm not even going to get started )

try flourescent green sinularia, the various colors of GSP, zooanthids for sure, especially orange ones. there are awesome green rhodactis shrooms too.

There are green versions of almost every leather and some really cool bluish ones(under actinic) like mumps.

you probably could even get away with some stony corals like Caulastrea and scroll Turbinaria and Monti d.
Old 11/14/2007, 07:34 AM
compulsive fragomaniac

here's some pics:

Old 11/14/2007, 07:37 AM
180 gallon money pit

awesome looking under actintic ah
Old 11/14/2007, 08:07 AM
Registered Member

You might try 20000Ks, to me they look roughly the same as actinics, but should have actually provide a wider spectrum....
Old 11/14/2007, 01:41 PM
Bee Wrangler

"HUH? (heh, nope, I'm not even going to get started )"

Uh, pardon me "Frick", but without knowing what kind of actinic lamps he's using how can you suggest corals that require a good amount of lighting? What if he's using a single NO actinic? Sinularia and Zoanthids won't survive under that longterm.

They'd probably be fine under a series T5 actinics or blue+ bulbs.
Old 11/14/2007, 02:11 PM
compulsive fragomaniac

Uh, pardon me xcreonx, but the guy is a longterm veteran aquarium keeper.

I merely was exactly answering his question vs throwing a bunch of newby tripe at him.

and if you want to get technical, you can keep all this stuff(not the acros) under NO actinic.

BTW, back on topic: all my actinics are standard 4' VHO's
Old 11/14/2007, 02:41 PM
Registered Member

What about some gorgorians? They don't like a lot of light, the one I had was bright orange with white polyps, pretty cool. Also sun corals as well. Rics and some shrooms etc would look nice also. I like the 20K idea, but it still might be a bit much/bright for rare/expensive wrasses you don't want to lose. Frick, is your tank actinic only, or is that just with the main lights (halides) off?
Old 11/14/2007, 02:42 PM
Registered Member

You can try sun coral or dendrophyllia or duncans, to not have all neon green color tank.
Old 11/14/2007, 03:52 PM
Registered Member

I use about 80% actinic and 20% daylight PC in a 20" deep tank. Zoas, mushrooms, leathers, LPS and montipora caps all do well. This talk of Actinic light being only for aesthetics is crap. The main wavelengths necessary for photosyntheses are ~450nm. R

Beat Michigan!!!!
Old 11/14/2007, 05:01 PM
Registered Member

I am running PC 260w total, so sps won't work. Probably rics and shroom maybe i'll try a leather. gorgonians seem to need to much target feeding as do sun corals, I got enough to do with all my tanks let alone daily target feedings.