Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/03/2008, 03:27 AM
This statement is false.

SOS Hermit

I had to put my carpet anemone temporarily in my 180g tank... Fortunately it was fixed to the egg crate I had at the bottom of my other tank, so removal was easy. I placed him between some rocks to help prevent it from attaching to the rocks, since I had to remove him a couple days later. But this nomad hermit did not think that the foot of an anemone can be just as sticky as the top.... I had to rescue him after being captured like that for 8 hours.

Old 01/03/2008, 06:22 AM
Registered Member

haha, nice. what kind of hermit is that?
Old 01/03/2008, 06:29 AM
This statement is false.

Blue Knuckled Hermit (Calcinus elegans) I believe

Link here...
Old 01/03/2008, 08:06 AM
Registered Member

i always wondered if they would eventually come out of their shell after being stuck for a very very long time...I guess we will never know.
Old 01/03/2008, 09:47 AM
Registered Member

hermit crabs will come out if stuck. I found this out because one morning i found the largest of my hermits naked and ripped to peices on the floor of my tank, i could not work out why it was out of its shell and i could also not see his shell anywhere. After a day or so i eventually found his shell pinned between two rocks and the glass at the back of the tank and then i remembered that the day before my hermit died i had re-arranged the rock in that particular section of the tank and un knowingly pinned him there. There were a heap of spare shells on the otherside of the tank but unfortunately he had to go straight through the lair of my pair of rather aggressive copperand shrimps to get to them, which is where i found his body. Anyone else had something like this happen to them?