Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/05/2007, 08:07 PM
Registered Member

Question How many reactors do i need???

Hi all

There are a few reactors on the market and wanted to know which ones i actually need

some i came across are: zeo reactor, kalk reactor, calcium reactor, phosphate remover, nitrate reactor

are they all need or are there some there that are uneccasary for a normal reef tank.
Old 05/05/2007, 09:10 PM
Registered Member

You really don't need any reactor at all. I would recomend a calcium reactor if you are going to get a reactor. My new setup will employ a calcium reactor, refugium, and protien skimmer.
Old 05/05/2007, 11:57 PM
Registered Member

What nick18jetta said. Most of the media in the other reactors you can use in another fashion. I'm afraid I don't know what a zeo reactor is, and although I haven't heard of it before either, a nitrate reactor sounds like a name someone came up with as a marketing ploy.

Anyway, kalk can be added just by dripping it into your sump or tank using some standard airline tubing and some sort of valve where you can control the flow. What the reactor (also called a kalk stirrer) is allow you to add a bunch of solid kalk into the chamber all at once, and it keeps the solution saturated. Of course, I imagine you still have to add water from time to time. You could do the same thing by putting a powerhead in a bucket and connect it to a timer that turns it on for a few minutes every day.

Phosphate remover can simply be added to a filter sock if you have a sump. I believe they also sell poly filters that are impregnated with phosphate remover. You shouldn't need to use a phosphate remover on a regular basis, though. Proper tank husbandry should be enough to keep your phosphates under control.

If you're going to keep stony corals, a calcium reactor may be a good investment. There are many ways to supplement your calcium, but for a high demand tank your size, a calcium reactor will be cheaper than any of the other methods in the long run. If you don't have a lot of corals, though, I'd wait on that one.

-Mike C.
Old 05/06/2007, 12:18 AM
Cyanobacteria farmer

OZ, what are you planning to have in your tank? (there are no "normal" reef tanks )