Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Greater Iowa Reef Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/20/2007, 08:21 PM
Registered Member

Sump Questions

Just getting a sump built for my 75. The tank I have is a 20 high. I have 4 sheets of glass cut and ready for baffles. I need some solid designs on the layout of this. Also, need some ideas on a return pump and a skimmer. I would like to put the skimmer in the sump if I can, but won't have a ton of clearance inside the cabinet.

Any suggestions on pump and skimmer would be very helpful. Layouts for sumps would be good too. I have the general idea, but I know a lot of you have done quite a bit of trial and error and there is no sense in reinventing the wheel if I can learn from others.

Thanks,
Jason
Old 12/20/2007, 08:52 PM
Give me some sugar Baby!

I would try and change to a 20long if possible, I have a 75 with a custom 20l acrylic sump and if you want to put a skimmer in there it will be tough to get it in and out.

"This is my BOOMSTICK"~~~Bruce Campbell
Old 12/20/2007, 11:33 PM
Registered Member

Take a look here, he has some good designs. Along the left side of the page there are links to various models.

http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html
Old 12/21/2007, 09:46 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by acidlittle
I would try and change to a 20long if possible, I have a 75 with a custom 20l acrylic sump and if you want to put a skimmer in there it will be tough to get it in and out.
can u post some pictures of your sump I am thinking of building one out of a 20 long too.
Old 12/25/2007, 01:46 PM
Registered Member

Anyone got a 20 or 30 long in the DSM area for sale??

Also, I'm looking at return pumps. What is recommended? I'm going about 3-4 feet for the return. My tank is a 75. I want to make sure I'm not under what I need. I looked at the Mag series. Just not sure how many gph I'll need or what is recommended.
Old 12/25/2007, 03:14 PM
Losing again! NEXT YEAR!

I first had a mag 12 that I ran as a return pump and it did a good job, then after a while I switched out to a Ocean Runner 3500 and it was a lot quieter, takes less electricty, and my temp dropped 2-3 degrees (that's how much heat the mag 12 was putting into the water)
Old 12/25/2007, 09:08 PM
Registered Member

I see the Ocean Runner has a 900 gph rate. Would that be sufficient for a 75 gallon and a 20 gallong sump? Sounds like it, but I wanted to be sure. Also, where are you guys (and gals) getting your pumps? LFSs around DSM are very expensive. Didn't know if ebay, Dr. Fosters, etc.?
Old 12/25/2007, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

i got mine of dr fosters
Old 12/25/2007, 10:02 PM
Registered Member

ditti, dr.fosters smith
Old 12/26/2007, 10:09 AM
Registered Member

Thanks. The prices on their site seem decent.
Old 12/26/2007, 10:29 AM
hamster

Are you going to feed your skimmer with your return? Are you planning on getting a lot of flow through your whole system (lots of flow through your sump?)
Old 12/26/2007, 05:34 PM
Registered Member

I would like decent flow through the sump. I don't have the skimmer yet, so not sure how I'll feed that. I'm new to the sump thing, so just trying to gather info that I can. I do want to do it right the first time though. I currently have 2 CPR skimmers on my 55. I potentially could use these, but really am leaning to a "good" one that would sit in the sump.