Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/25/2007, 03:58 PM
Premium Member

AIT vs Bubble King

i have a 450g sps system and need some help on a skimmer what would be the better way to go. the ATI 250 bubble master or the Bubble King 250 for the price and for the quality of the skim
M.
Old 11/25/2007, 04:02 PM
clownfish fan

Reefflo 250 FTW
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1172064
Old 11/25/2007, 04:06 PM
Premium Member

how tall is that skimmer?
Old 11/25/2007, 04:24 PM
Registered Member

skimmer

i just ordered my reeflo and from what i have seen go with reeflo
Old 11/25/2007, 04:28 PM
Moved On

Reeflo is approximately 32" tall, definitely a great price vs. performance external skimmer. Can only be installed externally. If you're looking for a in sump, then the ATi Bubblemaster 250 is the best price vs. performance in sump skimmer.

If budget is no concern (since you're looking at Bubbleking), I would take a look at the H&S A250, which can be installed in sump or externally.
Old 11/25/2007, 04:44 PM
Premium Member

I am limited on space but if I can fit it behind my tank I would go with the reef flow but if I can not get it back there what else is out there tunze?
Old 11/25/2007, 07:02 PM
Moved On

If you can't fit a Reeflo, I don't think you can beat the value of the ATi BM250.
Old 11/25/2007, 07:07 PM
Charleston Reefer

how much room do you have?

I am not a big fan of in-sump skimmers like the ATI BM. I would look into a recirc skimmer.
Old 11/25/2007, 07:10 PM
Registered Member

450g sps system a BK 250 is going to be too small. I would look into the BK 300 or wait because the BK Supermarine 250 are out. The Reeflo 250 is the best bang for the buck.
Old 11/25/2007, 09:22 PM
Premium Member

is there a in sum reef flo?
Old 11/25/2007, 10:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Corn
is there a in sum reef flo?
reeflo can be only ran externally.
Old 11/26/2007, 07:00 PM
Registered Member

I agree with the Reeflo. Thing looks like a beast! make it work

I also agree with getting a recirc model or an in sump.

H&S has some great skimmers
Old 11/26/2007, 07:04 PM
Generic Member

Quote:
Originally posted by USC-fan

I am not a big fan of in-sump skimmers like the ATI BM. I would look into a recirc skimmer.
ATI, BK (and other) in sump skimmers work very well as does external/recirc.
Old 11/26/2007, 07:26 PM
Registered Member

BK 250 will work out on a 450 that skimmer is a beast I know first hand I had one just sold it due to a large downgrade I had to do. A 300 would be better. I would also wait for the new BK's to come out also they look insane. I know more then a handful of people that have the ATI and are not happy with them. I am using the new KZ skimmer now and it it AMAZING Black like tar coming out of it.
Old 11/27/2007, 06:15 PM
Registered Member

I would go with the ReefFlo 250 skimmer.
Old 11/27/2007, 06:27 PM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

I just upgraded my skimmer in my 220 and this is the way I looked at it. I considered ATI, Bubble King, and Reeflo. I did a bunch of research and concluded that I could save over $400.00 by going with an ATI Bubble Master 200 over the others. I may get a few drops less skimmate in my cup each day and use an extra watt or two to get it but i saved a lot of money. I am very happy with my decision.

------------------------------------------------
If you work on a lobster boat, sneaking up behind someone and pinching him is probably a joke that gets old real fast
Old 11/27/2007, 06:29 PM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

Quote:
Originally posted by bhdmc
I would go with the ReefFlo 250 skimmer.
I dont mean to be rude but posts like this are completely useless. What are you basing this statement on? Experience? What you have read? Research?

If you work on a lobster boat, sneaking up behind someone and pinching him is probably a joke that gets old real fast
Old 11/28/2007, 05:49 PM
Registered Member

Based on the information I have read here on this thread and others, "ReefFlo/Sequence Skimmer Club" by Wizsmaster and the "Tank of the Month" for September and October" I am in the process of replacing my old ETSS 700 downdraft and had a thread asking which protein skimmer and many did mention ReefFlo. I have not read or heard any negative comments on this skimmer, maybe the price. I am currently considering the new ReefFlo 200 once it is on the market. You are rude.

QUOTE]Originally posted by Engine 7
I dont mean to be rude but posts like this are completely useless. What are you basing this statement on? Experience? What you have read? Research? [/QUOTE]
Old 11/28/2007, 05:51 PM
Registered Member

Based on the information I have read here on this thread and others, "ReefFlo/Sequence Skimmer Club" by Wizsmaster and the "Tank of the Month" for September and October" I am in the process of replacing my old ETSS 700 downdraft and had a thread asking which protein skimmer and many did mention ReefFlo. I have not read or heard any negative comments on this skimmer, maybe the price. I am currently considering the new ReefFlo 200 once it is on the market. You are rude. You need to chill out.

QUOTE]Originally posted by Engine 7
I dont mean to be rude but posts like this are completely useless. What are you basing this statement on? Experience? What you have read? Research? [/QUOTE]
Old 11/29/2007, 01:14 PM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

Sorry you became so upset that you actually edited your post to include the phrase "You need to chill out". I didnt mean to upset you so badly and I apologize. I just meant that posts such as yours with no explaination or backing do not help the conversation out or help Corn in his decision making.

Old 11/29/2007, 06:37 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Engine 7
Sorry you became so upset that you actually edited your post to include the phrase "You need to chill out". I didnt mean to upset you so badly and I apologize. I just meant that posts such as yours with no explaination or backing do not help the conversation out or help Corn in his decision making.

Hi Jeff.

All is cool and I understand what you meant in regards to an explanation on my opinion. Have a great Holiday and Happy Reefing.
Old 11/29/2007, 06:41 PM
Registered Member

Engine 7,

Do a little research on the Reeflo 250 and you will see what everybody is talking about!!!
Old 11/29/2007, 08:20 PM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

RoBolton, I hear ya but when I did my research I found the Reeflo 250 to be overkill for my needs as far as size and price. I know it is rated for tanks up to 800 gallons and is a monster of a skimmer but I didn't want to more then double the price of my skimmer purchase. I am more then satisfied with my research and my purchase of the ATI. If I could have fit the Reeflo in under my stand and used it on my system for an additional $650.00 I would have only gained a few drops of skimmate. To me its not worth it. I am diligent about water changes and the health of my tank. If money were absolutly no object to me I still wouldn't buy the Reeflo. The reason is that I feel it is on a short list of reef items where the manufactur has inflated the price to give its product prestige. The Reeflo is built like a tank and has received glorious reviews by those who have purchased it and used it but if broken down into parts I bet they would not total more then $300.00. In my opinion, asking $1200.00 for this product is insulting. The markup is crazy as it is on most decent hobby products. I know that this sounds like some kind of Oliver Stone conspiracy theory but it is how I feel. Often times I buy something that I feel was a good purchase and I didnt get ripped off. The ATI Bubble Master Skimmer was one of them. I speak from experience here not from other reviews that I have read or by jumping on a bandwagon. I feel that ATI competitvly priced their products against other skimmers in their field and the users have spoken up for a great product.
I never said that I felt like the Reeflo Skimmer was inferior to the ATI or any other brand. I am sure that it would out perform most others in its class but its not worth the more then double price tag to get a few more drops of skimmate at the end of the day. That is my opinion. I tend to speak my opinion on things that I have experience about when another fellow reefer like Corn makes a post looking for opinions. I did the same research he is doing and felt like chiming in.

BTW, I feel the same way about the Bubble Kings
A year from now we will see who has the popular skimmer, what is in vogue and what is considered old technology. I finally threw out a Berlin Skimmer. It was only 7 years old and worked as good as the day I bought it. It is completely inferior to todays products.

bhdmc, you take care as well and have a safe holiday season I re-read my post and it did come off kind of strong, I am sorry.

Old 11/29/2007, 09:22 PM
Registered Member

I know this is off topic, so sorry in advance but being a current reeflo owner, I have been very unimpressed with its performance. The skimmer it replaced ran circles around the reeflo, and if I could have used it on the upgrade I would have. (Not enough room under the stand). Now I know some people love the reeflo, even some who have never owned one. So take everyones opinion with a grain of salt, and just know that in the end go with what you want not others that way you will not be upset. Oh and for those who say they have never heard of anyone not likeing the reeflo, well now you have.
Jerry
Old 11/30/2007, 12:08 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Engine 7
RoBolton, I hear ya but when I did my research I found the Reeflo 250 to be overkill for my needs as far as size and price. I know it is rated for tanks up to 800 gallons and is a monster of a skimmer but I didn't want to more then double the price of my skimmer purchase. I am more then satisfied with my research and my purchase of the ATI. If I could have fit the Reeflo in under my stand and used it on my system for an additional $650.00 I would have only gained a few drops of skimmate. To me its not worth it. I am diligent about water changes and the health of my tank. If money were absolutly no object to me I still wouldn't buy the Reeflo. The reason is that I feel it is on a short list of reef items where the manufactur has inflated the price to give its product prestige. The Reeflo is built like a tank and has received glorious reviews by those who have purchased it and used it but if broken down into parts I bet they would not total more then $300.00. In my opinion, asking $1200.00 for this product is insulting. The markup is crazy as it is on most decent hobby products. I know that this sounds like some kind of Oliver Stone conspiracy theory but it is how I feel. Often times I buy something that I feel was a good purchase and I didnt get ripped off. The ATI Bubble Master Skimmer was one of them. I speak from experience here not from other reviews that I have read or by jumping on a bandwagon. I feel that ATI competitvly priced their products against other skimmers in their field and the users have spoken up for a great product.
I never said that I felt like the Reeflo Skimmer was inferior to the ATI or any other brand. I am sure that it would out perform most others in its class but its not worth the more then double price tag to get a few more drops of skimmate at the end of the day. That is my opinion. I tend to speak my opinion on things that I have experience about when another fellow reefer like Corn makes a post looking for opinions. I did the same research he is doing and felt like chiming in.

BTW, I feel the same way about the Bubble Kings
A year from now we will see who has the popular skimmer, what is in vogue and what is considered old technology. I finally threw out a Berlin Skimmer. It was only 7 years old and worked as good as the day I bought it. It is completely inferior to todays products.

bhdmc, you take care as well and have a safe holiday season I re-read my post and it did come off kind of strong, I am sorry.
I guess you couldn't wait for the reeflo 200, its only like 100 more than the ATI and looks like its also a beast. Im debating between the ATI BM 250 and Reeflo 200 (and curious about the new Xtreme 250) for the 185 I'm planning.
Mag 9.5 return,
Tunze 9010 skimmer,
Phosban Reactor,
4 Tunze Nanostreams Modded,
retros: 400w MH + 4x39w 36" T5