Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Delaware Reef Club (DRC)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/22/2006, 10:53 PM
Premium Member

So who wants to go diving?

Anybody interested in doing some local diving? I just got my certification in Oct, and I'm itching to go out. Where's the best sites that are reasonably local? Even if you've sworn off local diving for tropical only, I'd still love to hear what experiences you can share...
Thanks! - Mary
Old 06/23/2006, 11:08 AM
Registered Member

Do a search for Guppy Gulch. Never been there so I can't give a review but my wife will be doing her check out dive there this weekend. It is in Delta, Pa. Should not be far from you.
Old 06/23/2006, 07:49 PM
Premium Member

Hey Mary I have heard through Una "the owner "of The www.saltydogdivecenter.com right down the street from my house that http://dutchsprings.com/ is an awesome place to dive locally crystal clear water .also the salty dog has alot of field trips you could join
Old 06/26/2006, 10:14 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

My advice is we go the DUWSC (delaware underwater swim club) meeting they dive every weekend. I would love to go with you when/where ever you decide. I am not experienced around here all of my dives are tropical but would welcome the opportunity to get wet.

Tom
Old 06/26/2006, 12:59 PM
Registered Member

how long does it take to get certified from a real shop? the wife and i are taking a week in the western carribean in august and would like to be certified before we go, so as to not "waste" a day we could be doing real diving getting certified.
Old 06/26/2006, 02:51 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

It all depends on the dive shop. If they have a class schedule or if they will put something together for your needs. Don't rush your certification it is not just a hurtle to jump the information and lessons are vital.
Old 07/06/2006, 07:32 PM
Premium Member

I did my quals at Dutch Springs. It was mighty cold, snowing in fact. But a pretty cool quarry. Tom, I'd love to check out DUWSC with you. Sorry I lost track of this thread, been uber busy lately, but you know how summer is.
Safir, the shop I took the course from was 6 weeks of courses, with one to two nights a week of pool + classroom time. Those weeknights were *long* (6PM-12 or 12:30), but the course and the instructors were great. I went through Ulitmate Scuba in Media, PA. I would highly recommend them. And yeah, you don't want to rush it - they are teaching you how to live when things go wrong!!
Old 07/07/2006, 08:56 AM
Registered Member

Well crap, i only have 4 weeks avaliable

may have to take a resort class this time and wait for real classes until after we return, hen get the "good" diving in on our next trip.

I'm not looking to rush things, I just wanted to know if i could fit proper training and certification into my tight schedule this summer.
Old 07/07/2006, 02:47 PM
Space Cowboy

Quote:
Originally posted by Safir
how long does it take to get certified from a real shop? the wife and i are taking a week in the western carribean in august and would like to be certified before we go, so as to not "waste" a day we could be doing real diving getting certified.
cool - I'm taking a group of 10 friends down to Puerto Rico for a little R&R in August too - we were talking about diving, but the reefs that I visited last time were right at the surface, so scuba equipment was pretty unneccessary - If there was a nice reef that I *knew* i would need gear for - I'd go for the training.

I don't want to take this too far off-track, but I was told you could take a two-weekend intense course at the YMCA for about $75, and then do your certification dives when you get down to the Caribbean - like what Safir is saying - but from what you guys are saying - this doesn't sound possible
Old 07/07/2006, 07:21 PM
Sea cowgirl

I dont think the YMCA course is widely recognized by professional dive shops as a valid certification these days. They may refuse to fill your tanks without a well recognized certification. I could be wrong of course, but the two biggest educators for sport diving remain NAUI and PADI. Back when my uncles first forayed into scuba, I think YMCA was the only real place to learn, some point in the 70s. I am pretty sure no YMCA in Delaware does the program these days.. but you could always venture out to the other midatlantic states.

University of Delaware also does a SCUBA class, though thats not a huge help at this point. Its a NAUI program, and they do checkouts in quarries or in the Keys I believe. Then there's the dive shops, which would get my vote. Media may be closest if you're in Exton, but there are a few good ones in northern DE (Wilmington) as well.

>Sarah
Old 07/09/2006, 05:46 PM
Registered Member

Shallow reef Snorkling has always been just fine with me as I seem to have a big problem with hyper ventilating with a mask. I just dont feel comfortable going deeper than I can free dive. But from a friend, who is a certefied dive master from the schools in Belize, its not something to just rush into. safety, experience and familiarity first.

But for those that are certefied, experienced and have some open ocean dives under the belt, I just remembered this dive charter website that combines REEFING and DIVING together. They have collect your own live rock, fish and critters dive charters down in the Keys.

http://www.sealective.com/cgi-bin/we...=6883109_21720

Has anybody ever heard of these guys? the charter prices sound real reasonable for a small group of firends.
Old 07/14/2006, 09:26 PM
Delaware Reef Club & DVRC

Last week I finished my scuba class at UD. It was a 5 1/2 week class, but went a lot further then any of the dive shops supposedly do. I was just a little sad there was not enough people to take a dive trip. Hopefully I will go next spring. I do not have the money now anyways.