Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/04/2007, 09:50 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by plankton
All - I take back my interest in the Yellow Gumdrop Goby because after one day it has started nipping on my aussie acans. It doesn't actually do any damage, but the polyp does retract partly. Has anyone had similar experiences? Do they stop after awhile or is it just part of their nature?

Scott
i am not familiar with the gumdrop goby...but my yellow clown was an absolute bastard to my SPS...(i dont have anyLPS at the time so i dont know if he would have picked at them too)
Old 12/04/2007, 10:16 AM
Premium Member

maybe he was grumpy swimming agaist your 40x flow - just kidding - no clowns will be going in my Nano - I have decided - probably, for starters, a tailspot - I wonder if more than 1 of them would work?

Quote:
Originally posted by NanoReefWanabe
i am not familiar with the gumdrop goby...but my yellow clown was an absolute bastard to my SPS...(i dont have anyLPS at the time so i dont know if he would have picked at them too)
Old 12/04/2007, 12:05 PM
Registered Member

Anyone ever tryed keeping a Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish in a nano? I was thinking of keeping a lion fish in the one I am setting up since I have some smaller fish in my 75g.
Old 12/06/2007, 10:58 PM
the cattleman

Anybody have problems with their 6line and hermits?
PO4=0ppm, ideal

1/06/08 after a water change
Ca= 480ppm, still a little high
pH= 8.2, I'd like it at 8.3
NO3= 10ppm, acceptable
Old 12/06/2007, 11:09 PM
Premium Member

I got a six line one from a LFS and all heck broke loose - it immediately charged really really hard my skunk cleaners - once I got him out and verified what he was - I found he was an 8 line - whew (I was newbieish at that point taking the word of a LFS)

later got a real 6 line and liked the way he was all over the tank no problems - and never witnessed him hassling my hermits - but I do understand that they can harass

I got on the list at liveaquaria for a tailspot today
Old 12/11/2007, 10:24 PM
the cattleman

Can I keep two Sixlines in a 20 gallon long? Lots of liverock and pods from fuge. Only other fish would be an Ocellaris.
PO4=0ppm, ideal

NO3= 10ppm, acceptable
Old 12/15/2007, 11:15 PM
the cattleman

Scrap the two sixlines. Maybe just one.

I asked about having two sixlines in a 20 gallon tank on the "Marine Fish" forum and a whole bunch of people said that's crazy, they'd kill each other.
PO4=0ppm, ideal

NO3= 10ppm, acceptable
Old 12/15/2007, 11:41 PM
Premium Member

that answers that

Quote:
Originally posted by cherubfish pair
Scrap the two sixlines. Maybe just one.

I asked about having two sixlines in a 20 gallon tank on the "Marine Fish" forum and a whole bunch of people said that's crazy, they'd kill each other.
Old 12/15/2007, 11:44 PM
the cattleman

Anyone every have a canary blenny?
PO4=0ppm, ideal

NO3= 10ppm, acceptable
Old 12/15/2007, 11:50 PM
Registered Member

yeah, the only time I've ever been able to keep more than 1 six line in a tank at once was when I had my 210G with lots of rock work. They pretty much kept to their own side of the tank but if one ventured into the other's territory then all heck would break out.

Bought a dragon goby (sand sifter) and 2 fire fish. So far so good. The yellow gumdrop is still evil but only picks on 1 acan now. And no, I was not able to catch him. Even tried at night when he was asleep.

Scott
Old 12/16/2007, 03:07 PM
the cattleman

Anybody know what kind of blenny this is? There's a thread on blennys at the "Marine Fishes" forum. They call it an Ember Blenny, but nobody seems to know anything about it.

PO4=0ppm, ideal

NO3= 10ppm, acceptable
Old 12/16/2007, 07:09 PM
Premium Member

no, but is sure looks swell

Quote:
Anybody know what kind of blenny this is? There's a thread on blennys at the "Marine Fishes" forum. They call it an Ember Blenny, but nobody seems to know anything about it.

Old 12/17/2007, 12:04 PM
Registered Member

hmmm... i thought ember blennies were kinda reddish orange all over?
Old 12/17/2007, 12:35 PM
Registered Member

I just added a yellow watchman goby. He's so funny. Always looking for the highest spot in the tank. Once I thought he was a goner when I found him hiding on top of my MJ1200! I raised it just enough so that he couldn't get on top of it. Now he sits on the LR and stares at the powerhead, then every few minutes he'll jump at it then get shot around the tank only to float back to his rock and stare at the powerhead, jump, and repeat. Hilarious fish to watch.
Old 12/17/2007, 06:15 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

Possibly a Leopard Blenny??

This appears to me to be a Exallias brevis and according to the book Marine Fishes by Scott W. Michael it feeds almost exclusively on the polyps of SPS corals-buyer beware! If I was thinking of buying this fish I would have to have a CERTAIN ID that it wasn't a Leopard Blenny. That's only if you have NO SPS's of course.

And I maybe wrong but the picture in the book looks a LOT like this fish.
Old 12/17/2007, 07:17 PM
clams are your friends.

+1 on leopard blenny. Awesome looking but not good for a reef.

I would avoid clownfish. Cute and hardy, but I think they are pretty boring without an anemone. Also, if you are worried about jumping, get a seahorse. They are the only fish that have no risk of jumping out. All the others are potential crispy carpet critters.

I love small fish. If you want to make a cool community display with more than one or two "normal" size fish, look into groups of barnacle blennies (tiny and hilarious to watch in groups). Then there are the Eviota and Trimma Gobies that are like tiny gems. A group of 3 Pearly Jawfish are great in small tanks with a couple inches of sand and a flat rock.

Pistol Shrimp-Goby pairs are great in small tanks, too. I would recommend doing something more interesting that a Yellow Watchman goby. There are many much more attractive and interesting shrimp gobies than Yellow Watchmen. Look into Yasha gobies, Wheeler's Watchman, Randalls Goby, Black high-fins and others. I think liveaquaria.com has a whole sub page of their goby catalog dedicated to Shrimp Gobies.

If you want larger "swimmers" small groups of Bengaii and Pajama Cardinals look awesome.
Old 12/17/2007, 08:31 PM
Registered Member

Blue chromis, chalk bass, stripped dottyback, splendid dottyback, candy bass, dusky jawfish, pearly jawfish, bangaii cardinals, longspine cardinal.